powerstroke turbo?

sootman73

Reaction score
i was wondering if a early psd turbo would fit on my truck. i know it would take some fabrication to put it on. prob an intercooler at the same time. has anyone tried to do this? or at least thought about it? there are abundant psd turbos on ebay for a couple hundred bucks! it would be nice to have the more efficient turbo so i dont see as high of egts at the same boost.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
it wont bolt up and the oil feed lines wont match plus it will provide to much boost.

but a fella on here is using a PSD and regular turbo like the 6.4s so it can be used but u need to get creative.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be done but will require a ton of fab work. I'm either gonna use a PSD or a Cummins turbo on the 93.
The thing with the PSD turbo is that the exhaust flange is unique to that turbo, the Cummins Holset turbos use a more common square base flange.
As mentioned the oil feed and drain will have to be custom made. This will require turbo disassembly to drill and tap the holes for pipe thread fittings.
The early PSD turbo is not wastgated and may overboost a stock IDI.
Some members that have done this will speak up if I'm wrong.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
It can be done with lots of fab work. You'll need to buy the clamps from Ford for both exhaust in and out and compressor out. Also, the oil inlet and return bolt to the pedestal on the psd motor so you'll have to make a manifold with threaded ports.

As for overboosting, keep in mind that boost is a product of backpressure plus rpm. backpressure is dictated by the amount of fuel youre putting in the motor. With a stock pump, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
It would probably be greater. I am unsure of the size of a psd turbo compared to one that was designed for an idi. Compare it to a garrett t04 which I think is what banks used for their non wastegated kits.

sootman73

Reaction score
i was looking around on ebay and i found a wastegated psd turbo. i figured that i could adjust that or rework it to dump around 14 or so to be safe. i noticed that the compressor housing goes around the top to the left instead of to the right. i was thinking of running it to an intercooler and then back around to the intake. oil lines shouldn't be that hard to fab up. i would think its just a lot of pipe fittings and adapters? oh i found one with the pedestal attached. im sure there is a way to make it work on our motor? thought it would be worth looking into knowing how many are available since all the psd guys are upgrading.

or would it be easier to change the compressor and turbine wheels to get a different a/r ratio? and can you?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you know what your getting into, you can make it work. Its not gonna be a weekend thing, and if you dont have good welding or fab skills its probibly not something to take on. Nothing for the factory turbo system will be able to be used except maybe the intake hat.
Do a search for this, I remember seing some pics awhile back of how someone else did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online