power?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay thank you. how far off are the pumps usually? because im not too sure if i have access to a timing meter

sure you do. just gotta read the sticky's LOL

these are the sticky threads....

You must be registered for see images attach

it would behoove you to read most of the tech articles too....
start with the last page. very very usefull information.
I still refer to them from time to time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall rents out these meters. He includes detailed directions on how to use them.
Hoping you took those cylinder heads to a reputable machine shop to get them checked out & rebuilt....

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I have done it is....you line up the factory timing marks when you install the pump. This usually gets the timing close enough that you can get the engine running. Once it gets warmed up, then you use a timing meter to set the timing correctly. Using a pulse meter, usually somewhere between 7.5* and 9.5* BTDC works well. Within that range it just takes a little trial and error to find what works the best. As said before, do not adjust the timing while the motor is running.

As far as power, it can vary. You need to make sure you have the intake and exhaust to get the added air in and out of the engine efficiently. an Inter-cooler can help keep your EGT's down and allow for more air/fuel to be used without melting your pistons. Do you have an EGT gauge? I would highly recommend one.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the truck will have a cold air intake and a 5 in straight pipe, I have a boost and egt gauge. I do not plan on running a intercooler. But for adjusting timing of it is off do you have to just take the timing cover bolts out and put it a few teeth btdc?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the truck will have a cold air intake and a 5 in straight pipe, I have a boost and egt gauge. I do not plan on running a intercooler. But for adjusting timing of it is off do you have to just take the timing cover bolts out and put it a few teeth btdc?

DO NOT OFFSET GEARS.
THE CRANK, CAM, AND INJECTION PUMP GEARS ONLY GO ON 1 WAY.

I see why youre confused. we are talking FUEL timing, not CAM timing.
the cam get timed up with the gear marks. unless you have a reason for doing this, (I.E. custom ground cams)
ALL GEAR MARKS MUST LINE UP.

fuel timing is done by turning the IP twards either drivers side or passenger side .

we are talking the IP itself, this is why the IP has slotted holes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online