POWER LOSS!!

schultediesel

Reaction score
i have an 05 6.0 its only got around 65 thousand miles on it. when we first bought it with 56 thousand miles it had a lot of power and when you mashed the accelerator it would put you back in your seat and give a nice hard shift through all the gears. now it just kinda gets there when it wants to. i took it into the dealership for an oil change (it was free for buying the vehicle). would they have put a new computer "tune" on it if one came out from the factory? if not, what else can be wrong. the air filters fine. the turbo spools fine (hits around 20 like normal) i'm lost, and i'm new at this!

also my wife just told me that while steadily driving at around 35 to 40 mph it starts to sound like the engine is trying to find power. i forgot to add that it also surges when its first drivin. could this all be caused by a bad egr valve?

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel filters, both'em, when is the last time they were changed and when was the last time the HFCM was drained?

schultediesel

Reaction score
HCFM

i wasn't even sure what that was until i looked it up. i know nothing has been touched since we've owned it. and the dealer i bought it from probably didn't either. so i'll go and get the filters tomorrow and drain the HCFM and see what she does. thanks a ton, i'll keep ya updated.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its possible that your turbo vanes (VGT turbo on these trucks) are a bit rusty thus not allowing them to change pitch, it happens if the rig doesnt get frequently driven hard.

schultediesel

Reaction score
i drive the **** out of it. i'm gonna assume i have to take the turbo off and apart to clean the vanes.

schultediesel

Reaction score
it ran fine before the oil change. it did do the surging when you drove it first thing in the morning though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online