Poor Craftsmanship

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
There aren't too many things that really irritate me. OK, scratch that. There are a lot of things that irritate me, but shoddy craftsmanship is near the top of the list.
I've been working like crazy trying to get the body work done on my daughter's truck so it can go in for paint next Friday. This truck is very cosmetically challenged so I told her we would get it painted this summer. After several months of searching for a new bed that was close to me, I gave up and decided to repair what I have, which has been very abused.
I started by sanding the bedrails which were chipping badly. Well the sanding revealed the fact that some bonehead had skim coated the bedrails with bondo almost a 1/4" thick in places, then sanded it smooth. Took me less than an hour to pound out the dents and straighten one.
When I got tired of sanding, I worked on getting the bumpers off. That took another day because, I'm assuming the same bonehead, welded the brackets to the frame! -cuss It appears this was done because he couldn't get the bolts tight since most of them were loose or stripped. Out came the sawzall and now I need to replace at least the back bumper. :backoff
Whenever I build something, I always do it with the intention that I will take it apart again at some point.

Ok I'm done ranting.

Tom

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rant on... There is no excuse for crappy work. I can only do something like I was going to take it apart next time. I worked 28 years in the power generation and some supposedly contractors have done large turbine overhauls and didn't use felpro antiseize on anything. That way the next time they get to overhaul something it takes 2 to 3 times the manhours just to get it apart. Then comes the drilling out of the studs. Some of which are 6 inch diameter and cost thousands of dollars each. They are not a shelf item either. We found these guys out now we just don't hire them and we are watching everything that happens on the turbine deck. Kinda like it should have been in the first place.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't really appreciate good craftsmanship until after I started working on my van. Those little shortcuts I pulled worked fine at the time but when I had to do it over again, I was eating it later.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Someone did the same thing to my rear bumper and when I wanted to remove it to sand it and put undercoating on the inside I had to do it with the bumper ON otherwise I would had to cut it off the frame :eek: .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online