phwump, phwump, phwump, rattle, rattle, rattle !!!!!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what my truck sounded like today! Headed to work and alls well when out of the blue It makes a noise like the exhaust fell off the manifold or something! Then all heck broke loose and I got some major rattle noises! Noticed the left side tail pipe is smoking white smoke rings and clouds! Its a 1992 Idi 7.3 N/A with around 350,000 on it! Thinking it might have dropped an intake valve! What would be yalls initial thoughts!:dunno

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna read that thread tomorrow when i get time! Sounds like a similar deal. Thanks guys!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be time to jerk that ole' DT466 outa my dads retired Buss/motorhome! Been kicking the idea around anyway!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to investigating the source of rattles! I noticed while running the truck in shop the other day that there is a lot of noise near bell housing area! So this afternoon i pulled the tranny and found out that the dual mass flywheel is shot! Two of the springs were broken and the rest had been rubbed almost in two. So now I'm kind of optimistic that maybe a valve did not go after all! Or perhaps…………. the valve and clutch both mysteriously went at the same time! Anyone experience a dual mass failure, and think it might be a valve issue? :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was recently a dmf thread with my dmf video in it lol...might search it out...on my youtube...shows what you are describing

Cant say ha e had it happen.

Hows coolant level if its ok and oil level ok u likely found the culprit....

Just sayin

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the video guys! It was very helpful! I would like to install the flywheel without the springs installed just to fire the ol' girl up and see if my noises have disappeared. Just for a little peace of mind! Is this recommended or will it grenade if i were to run it briefly that way? Oil level is fine btw, and i actually dropped oil earlier to check for water or debris, and all seems well. Have not checked coolant level but will first chance I get! Thanks again guys for all the help! Its greatly appreciated!;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Haha don't do it.
if you don't want to buy a new flywheel, look up "the lucky mod."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not opposed to buying a flywheel! In fact if this is the culprit I welcome the transition from dual to single mass! What makes me Leary is dropping the 400 bones on the clutch kit, then finding out that the valve has in fact turned loose the fury on my piston and cylinder wall! I have valve covers off and there seems to be some slight sludge around #6 that has got me a wee bit nervous still! Guess I should just pull the head and give it a look see! Head gaskets are fairly cheap, and I need new valve cover gaskets anyhow! Any other recommendations on checking the valve status?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is real simple

You know the flywheel needs to be replaced..zo replace.it or do the Lucky Mod. Then you cam determine if valve train needs work.

Regardless flywheel is toast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online