Parts store house brand drag link?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
They store guy says the in house brand drag link really isnt any different than the MOOG one, and they both come with lifetime warranties.
The MOOG one is $109, the house brand is $44.
I need a reply on this as soon as possible. Should we just go with the in house? The way Im looking at it, it has a lifetime on it, and its like over $60 cheaper.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well When I used to work for Autozone, most of the steering and suspension parts would have a MOOG Tag and part # on the bag inside the box. I have all house brand tie rods and drag link on both of my trucks and have had no problem whatsoever. Hope this helps a little.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
repackaging is very commonplace these days.
If the house brand is on the shelf and you can LOOK at the part before buying, that will be your best thing to do. Keep in mind just because you get one brand in the box today, there's no bet that you will get the same tomorrow. That is why they "repackage". There's no more hassle with multiline inventories anymore. The OEM's are doing it too these days thru contract manufacturing.
Touch it and feel it. If it looks and smells like a MOOG product, buy it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Generally they are NOT the same. Look at both, side by side, that will generally be the best way to compare. Also, the lifetime warranty doesn't cover many things, one of which is an alignment each time you have to change the part. Having sold and managed a parts store for a long while, I can tell you that our house brand was TRW and was significantly lighter than the Moog product. Moog can also be warrantied anywhere Moog is sold, which if you travel at all, should be a consideration. Many times, when parts stores change brand lines, the new company just reboxes whatever brand was on the shelf in their boxes, so that can often explain finding a Moog part in a brand x box...

Not trying to tell you what to do or to contradict anyone's opinion, that was just my experience. In the years I turned wrenches and sold parts, I also don't think I ever warrantied a Moog part, can't say that for our house brand...just something to think about. Oh, I don't sell parts or work for Moog either! So I have nothing to gain by talking you into Moog.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
repackaging is very commonplace these days.
If the house brand is on the shelf and you can LOOK at the part before buying, that will be your best thing to do. Keep in mind just because you get one brand in the box today, there's no bet that you will get the same tomorrow. That is why they "repackage". There's no more hassle with multiline inventories anymore. The OEM's are doing it too these days thru contract manufacturing.
Touch it and feel it. If it looks and smells like a MOOG product, buy it.

What he said...:)

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i vote for moog i run nothing but there suspension parts on my trucks and i even talked work in to using them and never a complaint. but i dont mind paying extra for a good quality part thats why i hate autozone to much junk

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well the drag link is definitely MOOG, the tie rod end for the passenger side, the only difference was one was greasable and one wasnt, so we bought the MOOG tie rod end, and the house brand drag link. Got out of there with the tie rod end, clamp, and drag link for $5 cheaper than they listed just the MOOG drag link for. :)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's my theory, and I practice it with extreme prejudice....I've never seen too much grease hurt anything on a truck.....I grease my truck once a month and regardless of the parts brand I hardly ever have to replace steering or suspension parts on my Fords....Just something to think about. I usually buy the house brand parts because with my greasing schedule they last a long time.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing to me is that the part is greasable.

The only thing you should not grease a lot is the ball joints with the sealed boots. If you pump too much grease in the seals rupture and it lets water in. However rod ends have open seals so the extra grease just comes out.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to take my truck wading in the wintertime. Truck makes damn good money when it's wet up to its doorsills(about 2.5 ft high). As a result, it gets a greasing once a week. I do have indicators high up in the underbody to tell me if the trans and rear got submerged and require a oil change/flush.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've found that most balljoints today have loose boots on them unless you buy the lifetime ones....A little water won't hurt as long as you grease it often. A heavy greasing pushes the water and dirt out. I grease everything until I see grease oozing out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online