Our "OTHER" ford IDI

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its not a perfect setup since this was my first real project vehicle. Still have some little details to fix under the hood but you can still get the general idea.

The original tach doesn't work because I would need a magnetic drive like what our usual IDIs use. Still not sure what to do about that. I have seen some OEM diesel rangers that had tachometers, but so far haven't been able to find one so far. I added 2 auxiliary gauges since the original truck only had idiot lights for oil and alternater systems. Oil pressure idles at 80 PSI cold and can peg the gauge if you rev it up cold. Warm it idles at 25 PSI and cruises around 50 +/- 10psi.

Would be nice to get the A/C working again some day too. Oh well, it has a number.

I did see a mitsubishi gallant that uses a modified 4D55T with a bigger turbo, huge intercooler and the newer 4D56 head with roller cam. Supposedly they were able to put 150 Hp to the road. Sadly, all I have ever found of the car were a few Utube videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHCIGUr-X_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMc-MQZeAI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAGPgaE1Pw&feature=related
LOL only other diesel car I ever saw roasting that much rubber was a 1970 montecarlo powered by a cummins.

Attachments

• P5200023.JPG
    P5200023.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P5200024.JPG
    P5200024.JPG
    615 KB · Views: 26
  • P5200025.JPG
    P5200025.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P5200026.JPG
    P5200026.JPG
    620.1 KB · Views: 15

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've got two of these Rangers with the 4d55t engines in them. I can't believe someone would call them an unreliable pos. Both of these trucks have over 300 000 k on them and have never been rebuilt. Maybe that's why the engines fetch such high dollars on Ebay etc. (as high as $2500) As far as rebuild expense I recently purchased all the parts to rebuild a 4d55t for just under $200. That's rods, mains ,rings, gaskets, two sets of timing belts, and more. Just shop around the deals are out there. All the parts are north american brand name and not Chinese junk.:D

ive got an 87 Ranger with the 4D55, its an awsome lil engine;Sweet

Hey guys, maybe you could post some pictures of your trucks too?:sly There seems to be sadly few of these trucks on the internet and I gotta say I am pleasantly surprised to have attracted to more people with the same engine from my own province. Wasn't expecting that;Sweet

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MORE PICTURES!!

Ive been involved in "rough rangers offroad club" (the RRORC part of my login)...for the last 10 years...

diesel rangers are the unicorn of our following..every so often you catch a glimpse of one...but nobody ever "owns" one...

Ive done 3/4ton axle swaps to the rangers...put 5.0's 5.8's a 4.9 (yup..straight 6 baby!!)...and double transfer cases (paid for the R&D and got stubbler #01!)...so Im very interestd in the diesel info for those little buggers!!

once saw a 4BT in a sami!!...I almost dry-****** it..but it was too hot..:sly

dudly

Reaction score
Thats just sick, and not in a good way either:rolleyes::rotflmao

Hey dudly and Cwheeler, you still out there?

I have an extra diesel tach/speedo, that has full gauges. Came out of a parts truck that I got my fourth(parts) engine from. Yes I have 4 of these engines, three in running condition. One is installed in an 88 Dodge Raider. The 4d55t was an option in these as well. I installed it in the Raider a couple of weeks ago. Got a 14 mpg gain over the stock gas engine. Very nice engine to drive to work everyday.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an extra diesel tach/speedo, that has full gauges. Came out of a parts truck that I got my fourth(parts) engine from. Yes I have 4 of these engines, three in running condition. One is installed in an 88 Dodge Raider. The 4d55t was an option in these as well. I installed it in the Raider a couple of weeks ago. Got a 14 mpg gain over the stock gas engine. Very nice engine to drive to work everyday.

Yeah I've started a bit of a parts collection too, although not as extensive as yours. Extra rocker shafts, roller rockers and some new spare valves. There's more, but I can't remember off hand.

You willing to part with that cluster gauge? I never got around to making a signal generator for ours but getting an OEM tach would have the redline in the correct place if I was able to locate one.

imckee86

imckee86
Reaction score
Talkin bout the diesel ranger and mazdas, ive got a little mazda with the 2.2 perkins they used in them and i love the little thing! mine was originally a gasser and i swapped in the perkins from a factory diesel mazda, so its pretty much just like a factory diesel truck. My brother has two factory diesel mazdas, he snatches up everyone he can find because they're so rare. Both have the 2.2 perkins, one is converted to run wvo and here in the past couple months he has homebuilt a sweet ass intercooled turbo setup on the same one :D. Theyre very reliable little trucks. just hard to find parts for sometimes. A good friend of ours has a diesel ranger that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor and is converted to run wvo. It has the 2.2 perkins in it which was before they started usin the turbo 2.3 mitsubishi engine. He had to go halfway across the country to get it though. All in all they are tough as hell!(and slow as hell)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard a little about the 2.2 perkins over the years but to date only one that was tubocharged. My understanding is the 2.2 perkins actually has harder, and heavier internals than the 2.3TD and is a true commercial duty engine with gear driven timing train, and iron cylinder head. I would guess that they would really move when installed in such a light truck like early ranger or mazda.

Not to sound like a broken record here but ,

WE NEED MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Thats about half a dozen diesels that came out of the wood work since I started this thread, c'mon guys, share.

dudly

Reaction score
I know of a 2.2/4x4 transmission combo for sale in my area. I think he hasn't sold it yet. He wanted $350 for both. Probably pretty rare in the 4x4 version.

imckee86

imckee86
Reaction score
Wow that is dirt cheap. Two of the three mazdas we have in the family had trans problems and its neraly impossible to find parts for one, so we figured out alot an rx-7 trans is practically the same thing and you can swap the bellhousings. That $350 is dirt cheap! it must have came out of a ranger with the 2.2 cuz ive never seen a 4wd diesel mazda. Beleive it or not there is a diesel mazda forum. My brother gets on it often ill get the adress from him and post a link to it. I'll get some pics of his turbo'd truck up too! I forgot to mention on the diesel ranger note my cousin has a ranger he swapped a 4bt in!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online