Opinions please!!!!

bigblockquad

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and new to the diesel community. I just bought an 04 Chevy Duramax with all the bells and whistles and I gotta say I absolutely love the truck. I'm planning on a couple of mods in the near future.

First: I've checked my VIN and it does have the LLY diesel. Does anybody have a programmer (Edge, Banks) out for this motor yet? If not, when they do come out who is known as having the best reliable box. I'd like the most amount of hp I can get without frying the tranny.

Next: I sold my 01 crewcab 6.0 gas to get this truck. I had installed torsion bar re-keys to level the front end. It worked but the truck was way stiffer. Have any of you tried the Rancho 4 inch lift kit? All I want to do is level out the truck but keep the ride the same. It gets put in the garage every day and needs to be under a certain height.

Also: Who makes the best, lowest restrictive, exhaust/ intake for my truck?

Thanks in advance.
Rich.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich,
First off, there have been a lot of companies saying they were coming out with programmers for the LLY, but all have fallen past thier due date... Seems all of them are having some sort of trouble... Personally, I would wait and let them iron this stuff out rather than be a beta tester... IMO, Van Aaken and Edge products will have the fastest and safest tunes....

Never tried the rancho kit, but it would do a little more than level the truck...LOL...

Intake and exhaust.... Lots of people have proven on a dyno that an aftermarket intake on the duramax gives you very little... Lots of money for very little gain... Not worth it IMO... Unless you are putting some major power to this truck, like enough that you need to do tranny mods, there is little need for an exhaust... You can add 125 HP and stay with stock exhaust... Now if you want it louder, or the cool factor... ATS has a sweet system that is completely free flowing..

Good luck:moon:

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exaust wil not give you any HP, it will lower your EGT's by a couple of hundred degrees. Helpfull when towing. I like my Banks exaust.

Max Power

Reaction score
IMO you should start to see boxes for the LLY within a month or two.

bigblockquad

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. The main reason I'd like to put on some exhaust is the sound. I'd also like to hear more of the on/ off throttle turbo spool. The other reason, I figure with a new programmer in the near future I'd be running higher EGT's and if I could bring that down alittle the motor would run cooler and live longer. I don't pull too often and when I do it's only about 8000 lbs.

For reliability what programmer do you guys recommend. I've heard conflicting things between Banks, Bullydog, and Edge.

What do you guys run and recommend?

Thanks
Rich.

GSXRTURBOQUAD

Reaction score
LOL Well, my first recommendation, would be BUY A FORD POWERSTROKE LOL :moon: . Oh, it's too late for that, huh:D . Well, Most guys go with Edge, but it wouldn't hurt to check with Bully Dog either.:shoot: ;) Hey Rich, you know how to reach me, if you want to pick on me!:cheers:

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich
Im running the bully dog pup in first setting on a lb7 and it works great for towing. Flowmaster exaust has a neat sound and not to loud. I had a K-N generation 2 intake but found some **** wa getting through so I put the Uni cone filter on the K-N tube and so far it is white towel clean. I don't think Bully Dog has there tunner ready for the lly yet and I herd that edge was taking orders. Good luck with yo GM and don't let the others get to you, they just jelious cause they made a mistake when they bought the others
Geno

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GSX
Have not lost anything in cal, don't do no racing or pullin no more. What I got I like and Im sure you feel the same, so find one of them guys that has the big mouth bout how tough there truck is and chalange him. I may come and watch tho.
Geno