oops!!

84ord

Reaction score
Changing the IP and couldnt figure it out without taking off the gear housing. After I took it off I squeezed it by the water return to get a peek and it was to late. I for sure moved the timing gear. Now what? Any thoughts?

If Im not mistaken I have to turn it till I find the punch mark.

right?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's too late now.... But what I did was point the bolt closest to the dowel straight up. That way I had an easy point of reference for re-assembly.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ok,you gotta 50 50 change on getting it right.Line up the marks on the crank and the timing cover.Take the gear on the IP and find the Y marking.Count 19 teeth in each direction from that tooth marked with a Y.Mark said teeth with a paint pen.Now,take a straight edge and connect said dots with a line.Put the gear back in alone with the Y down and the line even with the front of the timing cover.This is not a fool proof method but it is easiest.There is a 50% chance that the gear is now 180 degrees off but that will only mean you need to light up the marks again,Pull the gear out taking note if the Y is on top or bottom this time.If it was on bottom then give the engine a full turn and line up the marks.Now put the gear back on like you did before using the line across the face.Pretty easy and you have a good chance on getting it right the first time.

84ord

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help.

Got a pump from dieselcare

hope it all works out

Also thought about gettin that 6.9l from that bus off of ebay: :rolleyes:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 50% chance that the gear is now 180 degrees off but that will only mean you need to light up the marks again

If you have #1 piston to TDC(on compression stroke), then the marks will be lined up correctly 100% of the time!!

Zigg :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.