On starters , buffaloes and flywheels?

ACBill

Bill Gibson
Reaction score
I had no idea that a simple starter job was going to get this weird!
As I wrote in my last post-tried lots of things to fix this dad blasted starting problem.
Well -grounds were all cleaned up no (excessive)voltage drops-new starter
what now?
My dear old Irish father coffies with a crew of retired mechanics-farmers-welders etc.One guy who ran an auto electric business for some prodigious number of decades came up with the answer in no time flat.
Now bear with me here, I need to explain.All engines will stop in very few spots around the flywheel I was told. This was a surprise to me but these engines will stop in only 3 or so spots randomly around the ring gear.So it will land on the same spot twice maybe then stop at another of the 3 spots etc.
If one spot is worn or has somehow changed then the starter could hit the tooth on the ring gear creating the distinctive click BUT not going far enough to make contact and engage the motor. Hence a click but no whirr .OK
So we (dad & I) hooked up the remote starter switch .He hit the button till the response was just a click.I was lying underneath and I marked the spot on the crank pulley THEN cranked the engine(with a breaker bar and socket)just a little ways further.Started like a champ.
Sure enough the clicking only happened when the engine stopped in that spot!
So off came the starter(it's only an 8 minute job when you've done it as many times as me!).The ring gear looks undamaged except that there is a shiny spot right on the inside of several teeth at the very spot where the clicking occurs!
Following instructions from the ancient and venerable mentor from the coffee shop we will use a die grinder to add more champher on the starter gear.
Man do I hope it works ! Cheers

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Isn't It something how smart them oldtimers are? My wife always wondered why when we went out to dinner or something I was always talking (listening) to the older guys. They have so much to teach us younger fellows If we just want to learn, But it's not cool to hang with the old dudes:rolleyes: I'll bet anyone who reads this post will remember this lesson and hopefully not have to go through what you have.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. Its true that these motors start and stop on 3 places on the flywheel. Thats why they wear out in 3 places but you can heat up the gear and rotate it about 120 deg till you have "new" gear teeth in the start stop areas. Now that works for some time but you will be replacing the gear later. The gear cost about $30.00 at Nappa. And Ford sells it for about $10,000.00.. The firing order has something to do with this start stop problem. Its 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8. Thats sure not a chevy is it.....:D

ACBill

Bill Gibson
Reaction score
Now have 3 days on the ground down starter gear-maybe 20 or so starts.looks like the number of times that it lands on the bad spot and "clicks" is in the 20% or so range.That at least gets me mobile & able to pull trailers.Seems better when warm.
I won't be pulling off the tranny to access the flywheel (Luk aftermarket) unless it gets worse or I magically find an extra day with nothing going onLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online