Old Trailer move

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning, I have to drive about 70 miles, hook onto a camper trailer that hasn't been towed in 8 years or so, then drag it about 100 miles to it's new home.

As far as I know, and I will check for myself, the lights on the trailer all work, the axle bearings have been re-packed in grease with good bearings and the tires are all up to *****.

Anything else I should be on the look out for? I towed a LOT of 40 foot goosenecks, tag trailers and even dump truck pup's before, but I've only hauled one camper before, and it was pretty much BRAND new!

This one is a 26 foot 1976 I think, she's a gem lol.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Be prepared to change a flat tire, and make sure the hitch latch works, if it hasn't been used in years. It possible that the hitch has rusted in place. Good chance the brakes are frozen too, so it may not have any brakes either. Go easy the first few miles and stop and recheck lug nuts and lights.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to change 4 flat dry rotted tires as they pop every 25 miles, and make sure the hitch latch works, if it hasn't been used in years. It possible that the hitch has rusted in place. Good chance the brakes are frozen too, so it may not have any brakes either. Check the battery if it has one, it's prolly dead and won't charge and is required to operate the brakes if she comes loose..... required by law too. Go easy the first few miles and stop and recheck lug nuts and lights.

Fixed it fer ya:D

Carry a jack, lug wrench that fits the trailer, an extra battery for the trailer and a fist full of $$$ for new tires.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, it went off without a hitch....no pun intended. All the lights worked! I couldn't believe it....EVERY one cam on when I popped the lights on...brake and signals along with the reverse lights too...I was shocked.

Talk about HEAVY! This thing HAD to weigh 6500 - 7000 pounds.

I made a round trip across pretty hilly terrain, some highway and a LOT of backroads.

Total distance was 260 kilometers (about 160 miles) and I burnt 41 liters (about 11 gallons) which gave me a total of about 14.5 MPG....not bad at all!

Here's what I had to work with! It look slike the truck is sagged in the rear, but it's just the way the ground was. I was lookin pretty hard at that, but it was fine on level ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach