Oil pressure question? (when hot) 84 6.9idi

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Ok so I hadn't grabbed a man pressure gauge yet, but was curious where you oil pressure was on the factory gauge. Mine was fluctuating a bit between the N and the O on "normal" which made me a little nervous (this is just at idle btw) so I put in a new sending unit. It seems to be sitting on around the O pretty solid now once its hot and idling. I know the factory gauge isn't real accurate and even worse now its 25 years old. But was curious what you guys were showing on yours?

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The stock OEM oil pressure sender is actually a switch that turns on at 7psi and deflects the needle on the gauge to a preset location. So with 50 psi it will show let's say O and with 10psi it will say O....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am fairly sure the older trucks had some liniarity to the the gage readings but you really need a aftermarket gage to even start to diagnose things.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory guage is useless really. Mine reads "N" or just below at 50 psi. I think it's just there to fill a space on the dash.

You need a electrical or mechanical water temp. and oil pressure guage. Not to mention a pyro.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online