Oil Not showing Up Full On Dipstick

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Have a strange thing that for some reason just happened.I changed oil in my truck and filled the pan with 10 qts. Rotilla oil and went the motor is not running the oil dip stick shows just a small part of tip with oil well below the full mark.Before changing the oil even when truck has set you could check the oil on dip stick and was always full.Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil change w/ ps filter is 11 qts on mine. This brings it to just about the top of the hash marks on the dipstick. According to the owners manual, you are supposed to get it to operating temp, then shut it off, and after 20 minutes, check the oil level.

If you are using a ps size filter you will use almost 1 qt more than with the stock filter size.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Motorcraft 1995 filter ($10-12 most places here. Same one that the powerstrokes [ps] use). Better filtering than stock and a little more oil in the system.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
After some research and asking others found out what I believe is happening.The oil change was 2 qts. shy as I believe the Turbo seal is sucking oil in as its puffing blue smoke out exhaust around 1800-2000 rpm pretty good and the Turbo sucked 1-2 qts. of oil so the dip stick was showing low.Hopefully I didn't hurt anything as I babied it for about 40 miles until I could get some more Rotilla to top off so may look like Turbo upgrade or rebuild NOW?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its rotella not rotilla.some guys say our trucks don't like that brand. Mine really drank the synthetic 5w40.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rotella is not the prefered oil for these engines. They seem to drink it faster than one would believe they could. If you were out of town and that was the only oil available then most would run it but. Its historically not given too good a report on these idi engines.

mountaingator

Reaction score
My truck also likes to drink Rotella. I've only had my truck a few months and that's what I've used so far. What oil does everyone prefer for these trucks?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck also likes to drink Rotella. I've only had my truck a few months and that's what I've used so far. What oil does everyone prefer for these trucks?
You'll learn in short order that that can be a very loaded question :shocked:

Honestly, some may flame me for this, but I generally either run Chevron Delo or Mobil Delvac, depending on which one's less expensive at the time. I won't mix them, though.

You'll get different answers from different people (in particular, a few who are fiercely loyal to synthetics i.e. Amsoil), but really, other than the issues described with Rotella's new formulation, any 15W-40 diesel rated oil should be okay...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I like tractor supply's travelers oil. Nice and cheap. LOL
I really like the valvoline premium blue. (Haven't tried the synthetic)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On paper delo looks to be slightly better than the other brands. I'm running it since I have gallons of it in storage. But any 15w40 will work well preventing engine wear. Even walmarts 15w40 is a quality oil. It provided great protection in my peterbilt.

But it seems that these engines often consume some oil and rotella seems to get consumed more than the others.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on Rotella burning easier. My truck is a 91 turbo. It eats Rotella at a rate of a quart every thousand miles. Using rural king special 2gal for 16.99 oil I get no oil loss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US