Oil in coolant reservoir?

BrokeFarmer

Reaction score
I have a 93 7.3 idi non turbo. I bought the truck about 6 or 7 months ago. It is a very clean one owner. The antifreeze and oil looked very good.

I noticed about a week ago that there is some oil floating in the coolant reservoir, but isnt noticeable in the radiator. There seems to be no water in the oil.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Am I seeing the first signs of my block being eaten up?

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Thats a possibility but it could also just be the oil cooler o-rings starting to leak... Also it could be a head gasket just starting to let go. The oil cooler is my first best guess.

BrokeFarmer

Reaction score
I will replace the orings this coming weekend and we will see if that takes care of it. Thanks for the info.

Kenny

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenny, WELCOME to OILBURNERS:thumbsup:
There are a couple of possibilities for the oil to find its way into your coolant. I agree that it sounds like the oil cooler could use a rebuild. And, like stated above, it could be from a head gasket. Cavitation is the worst reason I can think of.:eek: The tranny cooler (if you have an automatic) at the bottom of the radiator could also let oil into the coolant. But, that should look like ATF and not motor oil.

On a side note: Where are you in Tenn? If your not too far from Bowling Green, KY, come to the rally this year. Oh, and don't forget to add all of your truck's information into your signature. That way, we all know what you drive and what mods are made. It makes it easier to help with questions.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online