oil in coolant please help !!!

cumminschevy

Cummins Crazy
Reaction score
ok new on the site but not so much to the diesel world. my names brett. i have a 90 dodge diesel auot trans reg cab 2wd dually with about 240k . my problem is having a ton of pure black oil in my coolant. oil level is a little low. thought maybe trans fluid but thats not the case. the truck does not have anything extreme done to it besides the pump being turned up a little and an air intake. im thinking head gasket but have heard it may be a cracked block. can somone point me in the right direction please!

cumminschevy

Cummins Crazy
Reaction score
yeah i had figured that. at the time i was assuming things till i found that it had a unit that used coolant to warm and cool the oil. i called cummins bridgeway and they have them in stock for 297 bucks. do you know where i could find anything cheaper? i think that was a pretty good price but ya never know

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I've heard of others that have. You may be able to find a used one somewhere, but I don't think I'd risk it myself.
Travis..

cumminschevy

Cummins Crazy
Reaction score
yeah i had found one in a junkyard that hasnt been messed with but i dont think i wana risk it anyways. which brings me to another question. the truck i found in the yard is like a 92 or 93 looks like it was intercooled everything is there besides the intercooler all the tubes intake and turbo. idk if the turbo is good or not but was wondering which turbo it might have and if it would be a better turbo to put on my truck. it looks like it would be a real wasy swap if its still good. it looks a little bigger than mine. do you know anything about them?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They aren't the hottest turbo going, but I think they are generally considered an upgrade to what you have. The inlet is larger, so you need the intake tube, and then you need to either intercool it, or come up with a way to connect the pressure side. I don't really think it'd be worth messing with unless you are gonna intercool it though. Also, depending on year, it could have the dreaded 21cm exhaust housing on it, low boost lag city. If you are looking for just a better driving truck, a smaller exhaust housing on your current turbo is an easy way to improve driveability.
Travis..

cumminschevy

Cummins Crazy
Reaction score
oh ok i hear ya. well what would be considered a really good turbo/ housing set up? i dont plan to daily drive it but i pull big trailers with it and like to play around at the sand dunes and things like that. i would like to get bigger injectors 4 inch exhaust into some stacks and possibly nitrous but idk where to start and what to put money into first. i have gauges already and iv done all the little free mods to my injection pump. i have not upgraded the lift pump but would like to. i have a p7100 on another parts motor also. but tell me what you think and it would be helpful

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not the hot rod diesel guru, so I don't really offer that kind of advice. I will however say if you are going to tow with it, get an intercooler. All of that fuel does no good if you can't keep the exhaust temps under control. Lots of different ways to do it, but guys seem to like the super duty units for a nice upgrade. The kicker is that you don't really have enough space behind your grill. I have heard of guys trimming the backs of the inserts to make clearance, or upgrade to the 91 up grill.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7