Oil Changing, Engine Hot or Cold???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that I said UP TO 20%.......... not that it IS ALWAYS 20%.LOL I'm not just pulling this out of my butt, that is from BlackStone. I can tell you that the lifters hold a surprising volume of oil long after draining the block, the oil pump holds oil, there is a good volume of oil trapped at the top of the heads as well. The oil cooler holds a lot more oil than you'd think after draining. The turbo (if so equiped) will hold oil in it's lines and center section.

Anyway, my point wasn't to start a debate on how much oil resides in the engine after drainage, the point was to remind folks that regardless of how you drain your oil during a change, there is a significant amount you can't and won't get out of the engine without a complete teardown. LOL

Heath

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I used to run the truck fairly ******* the way home from work, get that thing as hot as possible, then let it sot for 20 minutes. That way all my oil is in the pan, thinned out by the heat and and it drains WAY better!

I even dump a liter or so into the engine and let it flow out the drain plug so any chunks or particles are COMPLETELY washed out.

Then I change the filter by poking a hole in the bottom, letting it drain and then putting a bag over it and spinning it off while it's still in the bag. Then fill the filter with new oil and thread it on after I check the filter base for the old filter gasket.

Then I add my Z-max, fill full of whatever oil I choose and let it run for 10 minutes while I check for leaks, loose bolts, etc.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Wow. This really simple question has turned into a crusade. If you are really, really concerned with deposits or dirty oil left in the engine, there is a simple solution. Change the oil twice in one day. Change warm or hot in the morning and then change warm or hot after lunch. You will have nice clean oil for at least 15 minutes longer and your engine will run like a giddy school girl.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. This really simple question has turned into a crusade. If you are really, really concerned with deposits or dirty oil left in the engine, there is a simple solution. Change the oil twice in one day. Change warm or hot in the morning and then change warm or hot after lunch. You will have nice clean oil for at least 15 minutes longer and your engine will run like a giddy school girl.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Heath

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever drained the oil and put the plug back in and dumped a coupe quarts of diesel fuel in the crankcase and ran it for a few seconds? I have. Sure cleans out the gunk.

I was wondering about this as well.
After I drained the oil, put a gallon in, plug in, did not run it, left it set for a couple hours.
Figured since I was running wmo I could use the diesel fuel thinning out the wmo mix later on.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I drained the oil, put a gallon in, plug in, did not run it, left it set for a couple hours.
Figured since I was running wmo I could use the diesel fuel thinning out the wmo mix later on.

I used to do this to my 2000 honda recon 250 quad. Well.....I ran that baby so hard for so many years that I managed to burn up my rings, crankshaft bearings, bent connecting rod, and clutch packs hahaha. It held 1.3 quarts of oil and it would burn entire crankcase in about an hour of driving. Also would foul a brand new spark plug in about 15 minutes. Yeah that quad smoked so bad I got pulled over by a local Sheriff one time and he threatened to have my atv impounded if I didn't fix problem and told me to stay off the back roads :rotflmao. The farmers used to call me up to drive around their houses to kill the mosquitoes....no joke. Anyways I used to fill the crankcase full of diesel and drive it for a half hour and it seemed to help for a short period of time. I would not recommend filling entire crankcase full of diesel fuel to clean internal engine components unless your engine is in the shape that my quad was.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to do this to my 2000 honda recon 250 quad. Well.....I ran that baby so hard for so many years that I managed to burn up my rings, crankshaft bearings, bent connecting rod, and clutch packs hahaha. It held 1.3 quarts of oil and it would burn entire crankcase in about an hour of driving. Also would foul a brand new spark plug in about 15 minutes. Yeah that quad smoked so bad I got pulled over by a local Sheriff one time and he threatened to have my atv impounded if I didn't fix problem and told me to stay off the back roads :rotflmao. The farmers used to call me up to drive around their houses to kill the mosquitoes....no joke. Anyways I used to fill the crankcase full of diesel and drive it for a half hour and it seemed to help for a short period of time. I would not recommend filling entire crankcase full of diesel fuel to clean internal engine components unless your engine is in the shape that my quad was.

Well I do have a lot of blowby, would that qualify me.
I was hoping the diesel fuel would help remove some leftover crap in the oil pan. But I didn't have the guts to run it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding diesel fuel to crankcase would not help your blowby issues. This is a result of your piston rings sticking and causing excessive blowby more than likely. Like I have stated in previous threads, auto-rx is the way to go. I am currently running auto-rx treatment in my idi because I too have excessive blowby. I have noticed massive improvements in the reduction of oil consumption and visual blowby, and I have only had auto-rx in my engine oil for 1,000 miles. I recommend it because it is one of the products that works as stated.
Example: My engine used to burn a quart every 4-500 miles. I have yet to add any oil to my engine with 1k on oil treated with auto-rx. I didn't think I would see results so quickly.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score

I let it run for about 20 or 30 seconds just to get it cycling through. Then I shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. You'd be surprised how well it works.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding diesel fuel to crankcase would not help your blowby issues. This is a result of your piston rings sticking and causing excessive blowby more than likely. Like I have stated in previous threads, auto-rx is the way to go. I am currently running auto-rx treatment in my idi because I too have excessive blowby. I have noticed massive improvements in the reduction of oil consumption and visual blowby, and I have only had auto-rx in my engine oil for 1,000 miles. I recommend it because it is one of the products that works as stated.
Example: My engine used to burn a quart every 4-500 miles. I have yet to add any oil to my engine with 1k on oil treated with auto-rx. I didn't think I would see results so quickly.

X2

Auto-RX is the shizzle!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see now. We have 17,305 members. There aught to be at least 17,280 more ways to change oil. This thread is going to exceed the U-haul sale thread. I don't change oil myself, just run it til empty, then fill it up again. :rolleyes:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Let's see now. We have 17,305 members. There aught to be at least 17,280 more ways to change oil. This thread is going to exceed the U-haul sale thread. I don't change oil myself, just run it til empty, then fill it up again. :rolleyes:

I thought you were supposed to throw the truck away when it ran out of something?:drunk::smash::bail:joker:-Showtits-Down

Black dawg

Reaction score
I really like to get mine good and warm before I change it, but I dont think it really matters (hot or cold) if you are changing your oil on time.

Reaction score
I don't change oil myself, just run it til empty, then fill it up again. :rolleyes:

My very first truck (first vehicle, actually) leaked and burned oil so bad we always used to joke that it made no sense to do an oil change. Just swap the filter and you're good to go since none of the oil in there could be that old.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.