Oh boy...

jvencius

Reaction score
I got my Wicked Wheel in yesterday so as soon as Maggie and I eat lunch, I'll be heading up to the station to install it. I think the truck sounds good now with the Tymar intake, but I've heard that the Tymar+WW combo is UNREAL and I can't wait to hear it for myself.

jvencius

Reaction score
Well, I tried, but didn't get the wheel in.

I got the intake ductwork out (having done the CCV mod made things much easier), the intercooler tubes disconnected and removed, all the sensors disconnected from the Y-pipe, the Y-pipe removed, and only then did I realize that I didn't have the right socket I need to take off the compressor housing. While I have two (2) 1/4" drive, 5/16" 6-point sockets, I didn't have the 1/4" drive, 5/16" 12-point socket that I need. So, once I got done cussing and generally getting upset at myself, I put everything back together and drove directly down to Sears to buy the right socket.

Oh well, I wanted to get the wheel in but it'll have to wait until tomorrow after church.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Oh well, I wanted to get the wheel in but it'll have to wait until tomorrow after church.

Ok...it's gotta be after church{even in your time zone} :D

:popcorn.............

Be interested to see just what the wicked wheel actually does......there is so much BS elseware ..."MY" turbo is bettter....that's a waste of money etc.....

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Went up to the station for a posible heart attack (otherwise I'd still be in bed) and JV was tearing the beast apart.

THe WW is a really cool little looking little wheel ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

jvencius

Reaction score
OK--here's my initial impressions:

-The WW doesnt' provide any really dramatic power/EGT differences. EGT's have dropped ~50-100 degrees while unloaded so that's a plus.

-The turbo spools faster and smoother and doesn't have any of the fluttering/turbo stall at 16-19 lbs of boost like before.

-Since I've only driven ~ 10 miles with the wheel in, it's much too early to make a guess at mpg increases.

-Installation took a little longer than I thought, but not really all that long. From pulling into the garage to heading out for a test drive (responding on a VFD call excluded), it took about 5 hours to do the install with the turbo on the truck. If I had to install another one, I could probably get 'er dun in ~ 4 hours, as long as the truck had a factory downpipe.

-Having a 4" downpipe made it a beyotch to get a padded screwdriver in the exhaust side of the turbo so that I could unscrew the old wheel from the shaft. There just wasn't enough room to easily move the pipe out of position to clear room into the exhaust side of the turbo.

-Unbolting and re-bolting the wastegate actuator in position was an absolute PITA, since I didn't unhook the c-clip connecting it to the wastegate. That'll come next week when I put a little more tension on the rod to build a little more boost.

-Having done the CCV mod made things easier, since I didn't have to deal with disconnecting and unbolting the CCV inlet.

-The sound isn't dramatically different from before, but it sounds GOOD. There's a bit more whistle at low-to-medium throttle, and when I let off the loud pedal, I can hear the turbo spinning down, and that's quite :thumbsup: .

More impressions to follow when I get more time behind the wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance