"odd duck" E-series RV/van found on CL.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"not mime"

1990 26' Bornfree 'mobile office' diesel RV - $2600 (napa county)

Date: 2013-01-04, 2:42PM PST
[email protected][SUP][[URL="http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts"]?[/URL]][/SUP]
1990 26' Bornfree 'mobile office' diesel RV for sale. Perfect small motor home for festivals, Burning Man, mobile office, or outdoor camping and recreation.

Fiberglass body with a Ford E350 Econoline chassis and cab. Factory classified as a "Showmobile". Made without a bathroom or kitchen but has space for full sized mattress and storage. Has a strong 7.3 International Indirect Injection Non-Turbo diesel engine. Automatic transmission and dual wheels. (& spare tire). The diesel engine runs well and but the interior and body needs some love and attention (older carpet and some exterior rust). Was driven from MN to CA a few months ago and ran like a champ! A/C works! You can add a bathroom and plumbing if so desired in the future. 98,300 miles. Asking $2600 or best offer for vehicle as is. Current Minnesota registration and title. Located in Napa, CA for viewing.
You must be registered for see images

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID:3522565050

Attachments

• 1990e350rv.jpg
    1990e350rv.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 187

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can see some musicians jumping on that thing. THere was a time my wife would have killed for that thing

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If I were still in Nevada it would be on it's way there! Wonder if my brother would hold it at his place in Napa for a while.... LOL

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Coolness. Yeah, "Born Free"s were built to be mobile showrooms. A blank canvas; lots of potential.

The pre-92 Es are getting harder to find, even here in no-rust-land.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Interesting camper for sure.

Wonder what's the mpg potential on something like that, being pretty low and no bed over cab, and with the 7.3/E4OD.

I pulled up to 14mpg out of my regular Class C, 26ft camper with a 6.9 C6 doing 55mph. Totally stock driveline with 12k lbs sitting on it loaded for a long vacation.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I looked at one of these very, very long and hard before I bought my van. Took my wife to the seller up in Santa rosa, it was an older E series van, similar to this one. The layout was great, but she just couldn't get over the combination smell of wet and dead dog. Bad stuff happened in that van for sure.

I've always lusted over the idea of an IDI motorhome, for easy serviceability and cost of operation, boondocking, etc...

Too bad my driveway is full at the present time... cookoo

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Original IDI motorhomes are sure hard to find that's for sure! Every now and then I see one pop up on ebay or around here, but it seems people think there gold as they go up for ridiculous prices, and actually sell in short time!

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
OK, reviving an older thread. I have been searching for a while and have not been able to find anything regarding Intercoolers and E350 chassis. I do have a Born Free. 93 24' turbo IDI. Loaded up she weighs in right at 11,000 lbs and she definitely gets hot going over the pass. I have an Isspro EGT gauge and it runs close to 1000 after a couple miles going uphill, so I usually back out an run about 45mph and stay around 900 or so. Has anyone done an intercooler setup on a van chassis? I just can't find it anywhere! Mine is a factory serpentine setup with a Ford PS pump. Later this afternoon I'll see about taking a pic of the setup under the hood because they put on a cowl hood and a big custom box with a flat filter into a 3" pipe feeding the turbo.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of Elsa:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726