NON A/C radiator support questions

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well since for some stupid reason they reproduce the A/C support and i cant find a good used one around here i ended up getting the NON AC support for the cab swap project.what else do i need for it besides the radiator and shroud?is the fan the same for both?what about the brackets for the battery trays?the support bar that the hood latch is bolted to?is any of this the same as a gasser,since it looks about the same as a gasser support?

whats strange is that the cab i got all the wireing,dash and motor out of was NON AC but it had the normal AC support.but the support was rotted beyond repair.:confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
I'm confused on what you are asking.
Everything between the DIESEL radiator supports either AC or non-AC will interchance. If you have a good non-AC support and need to adapt it to AC, the work is minimal. mounting tabs for the lower part of the condensor will need to be fabricated. the upper holes should already be there. If not, drilling and sheet metal screws will make fast work.
If you are using a AC support in a non-AC truck, there is nothing special that needs to be done. the mounting tabs and holes don't interfere with anything stock on the truck.
As far as running the gasser latch support, I don't know how you are going to extend it down to bolt up to the lower radiator support.
wanna take some pics of what you are trying to do?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Rich,
I hate to break bad news to ya but that core support will not work for a Diesel application. Been there.:mad:

Ended up having to split 2 core supports, refit and weld them to gether to make one work. A day's worth of work.:puke:

Here's what we did.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont tell me this!!!! i cant find a decent used support around here.i even tried to see if somebody had one that was along my route to florida,i didnt even get a NO from anybody.-cuss -cuss -cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill get pictures tomorrow.

but the NON A/C diesel core support that we bought is the same size as a gasser core support.it doesnt hang as low as the diesel support that we are used to seeing.

here it is.this is what they sold me for NON AC.but i got it for 150.00 instead of this places price :eek:
that's the wrong one. Looked at it just now. that's gasser only.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That core support will work for a diesel app, you need the short, wide radiatior, I know 83-86, they used them. You will need to do some modifications to it, but it will work just fine. My friend Stephane's 86 came out of the factory with that setup, as did the 85 that donated it's drivetrain to my friend John's 88, which began life as a 460 truck, he just modified the existing core support to work with the rad, I think he had to cut the opening a bit wider to get full airflow, and he had to bend the lip on the top of it to clear the top of the rad, just like on a factory diesel core support..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
is this conversion for a towtruck? If so, you are going to want to put the bigger support in. If nothing else, you have a new support to chop and extend in order to accomodate the larger radiator. here's a pic of what I am referring to.

Attachments

• _DSC00005.z12076.jpg
    _DSC00005.z12076.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 6
  • _FORD0005.z19773.jpg
    _FORD0005.z19773.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya its for a tow truck.i dont wanna be cuttin and welding things together to make it work.i want simple bolt it on and go stuff.i dont have my shop any more to be doing that kind of stuff.i gotta do everything outside in the cold.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the wrong one. Looked at it just now. that's gasser only.

it says 92-97 diesel only on the box it came in -cuss -cuss -cuss .never fails i can never have anything go the way it should or be easy :cry: :cry: :( -Playme ;Pissed