no start, gelling and or air leak

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that. Just glad it at least runs on the rear tank. Hold ya over until it warms up.

I'm between Altoona and Pittsburgh on 22. My crew cab came from Harrisburg.

Cool. I used to go out to Perryopolis with a friend of mine to his family reunions. Really nice country out that way. Looooong drive on the turnpike.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a used battery today and was running it while I was trying to get the rear pass side door to open. Switched to front tank and it ran fine with no change in idle noice or anything. Ran on each tank for 15 minutes or so... Now I'm really confused!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't check the fuel filter to see how much was in it. I'll do that in the am. Try to figure out why I couldn't get the damn thing started on the front tank while it was stuck at that damn hotel!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said mine would idle with the air leak. One really cold day it left me at work. I had to bleed the filter a couple times and put the battery charger on it for a while before it fired

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said mine would idle with the air leak. One really cold day it left me at work. I had to bleed the filter a couple times and put the battery charger on it for a while before it fired

Ohhh... So you couldn't start it on that tank, but it would run on it? Huh. good to know. I'm bettin' it will be hard starting tomorrow! Thanks a lot for the info.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, she got me again! Shoulda listened to ya Frank!

Truck was plugged in all day yesterday. Started last night one gp cycle no problem. White smoke for 5? minutes then clear. Idled on rear tank for 15 minutes or so then figured I'd switch to the front - idled on front tank for 15 minutes or so - no change in idle, idled fine, figured "F" it! I'm taking it out to clear ice tomorrow... I checked fuel filter this morning - almost full. down maybe an inch from the top. Got in, started up easy one gp cycle (plugged in all night)

Got it running down the highway, started getting surging. at about 8-9 miles of travel I switched to rear tank to see if it still surged and needle dropped to E, truck lost accel and I switched back to front tank. Truck sputtered back but never recovered. Made it another 2 miles before it quit for good, but in that time it continued to lose fuel (push pedal no response, deceleration). Coasted into gas station on stall.

The keys to this are: The rear tank was at almost 3/4 full when I got it home 3 days ago, front tank was about the same. So I guess last night in the 30-40 minutes of idling the FSV pumped all the fuel from the rear tank to the front. I switched from the rear tank to the front about halfway through idle last night. I noticed the front tank was over full this morning while warming up, but I'm parked on a hill and I hadn't run the front tank so I just assumed I was off a little on how much should be in there. It did get me thinking that something was up, but too late.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tank selector valve is junk.
Probably something stuck in it.

Yessir. I am leaning heavily toward manual switches at this point. I have read several threads on manuals and several on guys who replaced the FSV. OEM price is beyond ridiculous. AA and Auto Zone parts are not quite the same and I always questions their reliability. Manual setup seems really easy to do.

The only part that I am unclear on is the wiring... I saw OLDBULL's breakdown of which wire does what... I'm assuming I would tie off A and B wires that activate the selector, but do I cut and splice the rest of the wires from the FSV harness to the Sending Unit harness?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered parts for the manual selectors. Had to have truck towed because it left me stuck in a parking lot. AAA is worth every cent. Got it towed to a local shop. Asked him to rule out the front fuel tank as the source of the problem (blockage/air) and to leave the FSV alone because I am junking it. Kinda owed the guy one so I let him do some work on it. I'm just going to bypass the FSV with a direct line from the front tank the the pump so I can use it til I get in the manual switch parts. Should have 3 way ball valves today and hose by the end of the week. Going to get the 90 barbs today or tomorrow. Storm coming so focused on that right now. Hopefully update in a couple days with manual switch thread.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up over 1200 lbs of bagged salt and had to load it into the back of my Pathfinder... Boy I'm glad I installed those air bags! My ass was DRAGGIN!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online