No power to cab

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
I have an 1987 that has a factory 94 7.3 idi turbo in it and a zf5 speed trans. I went to go start it this morning and turned the key on and I had power but when I pressed the glow plug button it lost all power I’ve checked the fuses

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is fuseable links on the main power feed that runs off the starter relay to the under hood fuse block. Check power at both ends of that lead and did you check fuses in that block?

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
There is fuseable links on the main power feed that runs off the starter relay to the under hood fuse block. Check power at both ends of that lead and did you check fuses in that block?

I don’t see any fuse blocks under the hood I’ve checked the fuses in the cab. But it just got power to where the door ding was going off but once you turn the key the power goes back out. I’m not good with electrical systems so I’m confused

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had issues like this with a bad battery cable and/or clamp on other vehicles. It works fun until you put a heavy load on it (like glow plugs/starter) and it burns through the tiny bit of metal that was making the circuit and opens it. If you can wiggle the clamps/cables and get things to turn on this might be it. I have poured salty water on the terminals to get enough continuity to start my car and get me home once. Not sure if this is your issue but something to check anyway.

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
I’ve had issues like this with a bad battery cable and/or clamp on other vehicles. It works fun until you put a heavy load on it (like glow plugs/starter) and it burns through the tiny bit of metal that was making the circuit and opens it. If you can wiggle the clamps/cables and get things to turn on this might be it. I have poured salty water on the terminals to get enough continuity to start my car and get me home once. Not sure if this is your issue but something to check anyway.

ill check it out truck I know these are simple trucks but electrical stuff is never been my best friend lol

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
Update so I pulled back out my light tester so I have power at the battery but when the positive cable spilts to the starter fender mounted solenoid I barley have power.... So I put a 12v jumper to the solenoid and I have power and everything turns on. So my guess would be the cable running to the solenoid is bad correct?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sounds like it. You can make a dedicated cable instead of having it split off of the bigger cable like it did from the factory.

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
Sounds like it. You can make a dedicated cable instead of having it split off of the bigger cable like it did from the factory.

That’s what I was wondering about just cut the old one off and run a new cable to it or I guess I could buy a whole new cable for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online