No more tranny filters?????

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed a new filter for the tranny, sounds simple, right? Not on this planet :mad: !! My tranny takes the long "filter to pump" tube model. I went through this two years ago with only minor problems. At that time there were 2 filters listed for the 4X4 E4OD, A long and short fiter to pump. Now there is only one listed, so I sent the old one with the wife to town. So far nobody can find a matching filter, not even Ford. Anybody else having this problem and any suggestions?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an exact answer, but I DO have a solution.

Go to the Ford parts desk, order a trans pan for a 2000 F250, 5.4L 4x4 with a 4R100 trans. This has a drain plug and is a direct bolt on. Cost will be around $40 give or take.

Now go to Autozone etc and order a trans filter kit for the same application.

Now you will have a drain plug and matching parts that are easy to get.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those filters have a longer neck on them? The problem is when the filter is placed up against the valve body the tube going up to the pump intake hole stops about one half inch before the hole. Its awful hard for the pump to pull fluid through the filter with a half inch air gap between them. Surely I don't have the only transmission like this in the world.

tractorman86

Reaction score
thats pretty smart roboto but it might not solve the prob. take ur filter down and try it out before u buy the pan, whats the worst that can happen? it wont work and u will have to go a different route!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mont91 said:
Do those filters have a longer neck on them? The problem is when the filter is placed up against the valve body the tube going up to the pump intake hole stops about one half inch before the hole. Its awful hard for the pump to pull fluid through the filter with a half inch air gap between them. Surely I don't have the only transmission like this in the world.

Yea, you're right..... I didn't comprehend the problem properly...

The filter I use for the 4x4 pan is from Autozone, TF325

The dimesion from the flat part of the top of the filter to the top of the neck is 2-3/4"

They may have given you a filter for the AOD-E which I would suppose would be smaller. Those parts stores computers are so screwed up its a wonder they ever get you the right part.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the flat part to the end of the tube is 3.25 inches on mine. Called Ford again, no good, called a big tranny shop. They use the same filter from "88 until the Torqueshift came out. This happens to be the same brand and part number as mine, it is a german made filter that says right on it E4OD/4R100 I believe it is a filtertek(the filter is on it's way to town, 100 miles away,so I can't look at the name). The tranny shop gets them from Denver, nobody could even cross referance the part number. $30 but at least I found one.

Now for the big question. What is differant about my tranny. If they listed this variation 2 years ago in the parts books why did they quit? :confused: And why dosn't Ford have a filter or know whats going on -cuss .

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter that fits is a Filtran Microfelt.

Part# PA66 + GF 30%

Patent# 5.607.637

Made in Germany

$31.50 no gasket included.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online