Newish, couple questions.

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool man, that'll be an adventure. Always thought about getting one of those. Tuck a cage in it and stiffen it up then graft in a new roof.
Yeah got some ideas/plans there as well. Needs some rollover protection, these rigs are horrible stock, but this rig is worse with all the rust and I'll be making it even worse with the mods when I remove/weaken the B-pillar. But I don't want to close off the interior with a cage, I bought it for all the open interior space, not gunna cage it up inside and ruin that. What I'd like to do is make the A and current C pillars REALLY strong and strengthen the roof. Lots of room in the C-pillar to add material for strength. But the A is small so not sure yet how I want to make it stronger without blocking visibility and door access. Maybe go a little exo there, make it thicker to the front then add some diagonal bracing towards the center of the dash so from the drivers POV the bracing and A-pillar are in line/overlap so there's very little reducing visibility.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple cage ideas I've seen that I really liked. The first was done on 4WOR UA Project Super Dirty where they made a hybrid interior/exterior cage that tucked inside the pillars for more interior space. The second is on D & C Extreme's website, they have flat plate front legs so you have maximum interior space in the front two seats.

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple cage ideas I've seen that I really liked. The first was done on 4WOR UA Project Super Dirty where they made a hybrid interior/exterior cage that tucked inside the pillars for more interior space. The second is on D & C Extreme's website, they have flat plate front legs so you have maximum interior space in the front two seats.
Interesting, thanks for the links. FWIW this is WAAAY pre-mature, I just bought a house, gotta move, do some remodeling, etc. And this rig has a pile of drivability and reliability issues to deal with first, etc. Then I gotta replace the tranny in my F350 so it's reliable when I have this sucker apart, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure you know how it goes.

That said some interesting ideas there, and while I'm far from an expert some stuff that would worry me as well. On that F250 that doesn't look like enough material to stand up to a hard rollover with a 6000+ pound rig. Second those joints at the bottom, no way, it'd totally fold there. Similarly with those flat plate pieces, what keeps them from folding to the inside. That and below the windows there's a fair amount of room to build inside the kick panel, behind the dash, in the door, etc. so no need to make compromises there. Biggest issue is making the A-pillar strong without blocking vison or access any more then I have to.

So, yeah I think I'll almost certainly have to end up with some exo elements. Around the windshield and likely in combination with a roof rack/visor/light bar. Thinking I'd like to put enough material around the outside of the windshield that not only will I stand a chance of rolling over without breaking it. But also an impact from a branch or something sticking out will impact the cage and not the glass. IDK, this line of talk only now got me thinking about it seriously in my mind, before it's just been a figure it out later thing.

Maybe a flat triangular plate going though the A-pillar connecting a tube inside that's parallel and right next to the A-pillar with a tube on the outside that's at a shallower angle so at the top it's right against the A-pillar but at the bottom it's 6" or so forward going though the top of the fender at the corner of the cowl. That outer tube will act as both triangular bracing and as a deflecting impact surface. Similarly on the inside a tube from the top corner of that inner A-pillar tube towards the eye line of the driver and front passenger down to the near edge of the dash were a cross brace will be. Would be both triangular bracing and a grab handle while being in the same line of vison as the A-pillar.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online