Newbee

Modsqwad

Reaction score
Good morning Guys:
Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently picked up my second 12 v cummins dodge. The first stayed in Mexico when I move back here. I have a couple questions and one interesting observation. Q-1 Can someone tell me the compression figures I should be looking for in the 1990 i just bought? Its smoking a bit (unburnt fuel) and I want to "eliminate the negative" (rings) before
I "accentuate the positive" (injectors). Q-2 what are the best "milage injectors" and pump settings for my truck. I'm no power junky,
the stock output is ok by me for my needs. The truck is a 1990 350 4x4 with auto tranny and pretty low gearing in the diffs.

This brings up my interesting observation. It came to me with a 727-3speed box. That plus the low gearing had it screaming at 100km on the hyway.
After a bunch of research I decided to install an A518 od unit. Everything I had read to this point told me I needed to find a complete tranny to work with but that was not the case. My local tranny shop (Victoria Auto Trans) used my existing 727 and just bolted the OD unit from a 518 onto the back of it. Obviously a lot more to it than that but basically thats what was done. They asked me how I wanted to control it (pressure switches etc..) I just opted to go full manual with a stomp switch on the floor. It works great! dropped hyway speed rpms down to about 1900 from 2700. This is a non lockup TC unit. I didn't want to spend a fortune going to a 47rh and all the really skookum diesel internal parts are for the non lockup unit. So far I'm pretty happy with the result. This truck will be a long term project
for me and this is just step number 2 of the big list. Cheers.

Modsqwad
Victoria BC

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good way to lower the rpms! I would like to swap an auto into my 93 Dodge.

Modsqwad

Reaction score
You won't regret it if your doing a lot of in town driving. A bit more complex in your case but all the pieces are still available. Look for the diesel parts if you can. They run a bit louder (straight cut gears in the OD box) but strong enough for life behind the Cummins. If you have hot rodded your truck for a lot more HP some aftermarket upgrades may be needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online