New truck box installed!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yay! I don't have any pictures, yet. I'll post them to my gallery in a few days.

One thing that struck me as odd is that the manufacturer recommends 2 bolts for the installation. Although I know why they do this, it seems like a bad idea to me because it provides 2 points of potential flex for the aluminum skin of the box. I may get some stainless steel plating to distribute some of this flex to a larger area.

Drilling through the box and truck bed was no problem. Just wish there was a more secure way of fastening the box to the truck... two sheet metal screws isn't much.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Mike, I take it you mean a cross bed toolbox? I just bought a DeeZee Competitor, single-lid, for mine. it came with two 3/8 " J bolts and you drill a hole on each side and the J bolts grab the underside of the bedrail. It seems to hold pretty well. I don't have it loaded down real heavy like Travis. Just the stuff I think I need and I finally got the rear seat and floor cleaned out and put all those tools and other items in the box! ;Sweet My dad has one for a fiver that sits flush with the top of the bedrails and the lid slides to each side. His is secured with two BIG sheetmetal screws (square-drive bit with the drill) on each end going into the side of the bedrails. His doesn't move around at all.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check into the J-bolts, then. I've already drilled the rails of the truck and installed the box... but that's just cosmetic (won't matter after the rail caps go on).

A more sturdy installation would be nice. I'm kind of surprised BetterBuilt only recommends the use of 2 sheetmetal screws to hold down their boxes (unless you buy their boltless install kit--$60 last I checked).

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka