New tie rods for 2wd cc, which ones?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, Im trying to order all some tie rods for my 2wd 1991 f350 cc 7.3. the outer tie rod ends have a ton of slop in them, but id rather replace everything all at once, so it all ages together. Im confused between these two:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-ds1138t/overview/make/ford/model/f-350/year/1991

and

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-ds1073/overview/make/ford/model/f-350/year/1991

logic tells me i need the one that fits the crewcab/bent end?

also, do i need 1 or two outer tie rod ends (i believe i only need 1 for the driver side, as that long one already has a tie rod end for the passenger side)

finally, i see theyres some much cheaper options by Mevotech listed here, question-will they hold up to normal/non offroad use for 6 moths?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ar/1991/part-type/tie-rod-ends/drivetrain/rwd

i will be going 4wd within 6 months, but the slop is bad enough that I NEED to replace the components for my safety and others.
Any help please?

You must be registered for see images attach
basically looking to replace all of this. from my understadning I need 3 individual parts, or is the yellow pitman arm 2 individual pieces?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That picture is of the linkage your truck would have if it were a 4x4. If you thought 2wd part are expensive, you just wait to see how much the 4x4 draglink and center link will run ya LOL

What I'd do is run the cheap parts. You won't be breaking them with just pavement driving, heck I've seen them hold up to day in and day out of washboard high-speed assaults. So I'd say run the cheap stuff as a stop-gap measure, save up for Moog when you go 4x4.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get ready for good stuff, order from xrf chassis. They are not expensive, hell the ball joints I ordered for my truck were cheaper than the moog parts, and come with a great warranty and actual, real customer service should you need it. Put another way, the only reason I would run anything else is if I broke down and had to put in a part right then in order to get away from a zombie horde or killer tidal wave full of sharks. In ANY other situation, I'd call up xrf and order what I needed.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my main question is, which passenger tie rod do i need for my 2wd crew cab. its not a cab n chassis so i believe its UP TO 4200 lb front axle weight,
but on summitss website, for the moog passenger tie rods, the one for 79 says it a straight tie rod design, the one for 85 says its bent design, for crew cabs and ambulances.

then for the cheap stuff, it has two part numbers as well, one for 40ish, the other for 70ish, but doesnt say anything.. thats what im confused about

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC they are different diameters one is fatter. Measure diameter of threaded section:

a) 22mm = under 4200 lbs GAWR
b) 25mm = over 4200 lbs GAWR (ambulance package)

Summit is flat out worthless when it comes to info you can actually use. Check Rockauto for possibly more info on which is which.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im out of the country for another week, cant measure it. but would like to order asap. its just a regular ol crewcab 2wd so then thinner one should be fine i think.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im out of the country for another week, cant measure it. but would like to order asap. its just a regular ol crewcab 2wd so then thinner one should be fine i think.

as long as you go complete with the LD parts, you're technically ok. doing a mix-n-match is a really bad idea.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are LD parts? I just want new tie rod ends, this is too confusing :(

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to lose it on summit and rock auto. they both flip flop from right/left side. i dont know which way is up anymore.
Can someone tell me if i have everything i need here to replace all wear components in the steering linkage from this list?

i dont know if this list includes that really long link that contains the passenger side tie rod.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The list does include the long links, they are considered inner tie rod ends.

But I see you have 2 right outer TREs, you only need one. Auto Extra Chassis Rite or McQuay-Norris is your call, you don't need both (unless you just want to be on the safe side, and for $5 I'd probably have them both)

I have concerns about the Raybestos left outer, it does not say what size it is.

Also, I do not see a left inner TRE on the list.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, yes i did mess up.
so to be clear, i need 4 parts
inner left
outer left
inner right
outer right.

all of these say it is for crew cab and ambulance package. Im assuming crewcabs are 4200#+ front axle, due to them being made to haul 6 dudes?
my father said that my door sticker says 4200#, nothing else though..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok friends, i found the "center link" which also shows up, at least in pictures in the tie rod section, but I added it anyway, as i dont see how i could get that peice for 8$. i think that 33" peice is the steering link no?
anyway heres my updated list. i apologize for all the spamming, just all very confusing. now this is assuming that all crew cabs have the thicker steering linkage...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have regular cab, my axle is 3690 lbs (which is patetic) - my right side TREs are 22mm thread and 25mm shaft, my left side TREs are 20mm threads and 20mm shaft. I've only replaced the left TREs since I got the truck, and I bough the ones that were not for a crew cab (cause they were cheaper and I was on a budget, sill McQuay Norris parts tho, used and abused and no play at all). No clue why my lefts are so thin, but they are what the store computer listed so that's what I got.

Again, you do not need a center link, or a drag link, or anything like that - those a parts for D60 and Rockwell Carryall monobeam axles (found in F350 4x4 and F-Superduty trucks respectively). All you need are left and right inner TREs and left and right outers. And 2 sleeves.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you, i will ditch the center link and go with what you recommend. and hopefully my crewcab is over 4200 like the description says

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online