new member with a couple questions

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I'd like to say this site is awesome, I've learned alot just searching the forums.
I just picked up an 85 F250 with a 6.9 and a 4 speed. There is a noise coming from the passenger side of the engine, it sounds like a loud tick from the top, and if I stick my head in the wheel well its almost a knocking noise, but not loud like a rod knock. It still has the factory injectors, so I'm assuming one of them is getting pretty worn out and causing an injector knock. I was going to replace all of them and the CDR, along with do an oil change and run some additive through the fuel system. Is there anything else I should do? Also, I found a set of delphi injectors new on ebay for like $174, seemed pretty reasonable but are they good injectors?

The exhaust was cut off under the passenger side door, where it goes into a 90* and exits under the bed side. No muffler, it sounds pretty good but I've heard these engines like a little back pressure, what is everyones opinion on this?

Thank you very much in advance,

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exhaust was cut off under the passenger side door, where it goes into a 90* and exits under the bed side. No muffler, it sounds pretty good but I've heard these engines like a little back pressure, what is everyones opinion on this?
Don't need any back pressure. But I would extend the exhaust pipe out from under the bed, CO poisoning could happen if you set and idle for a long period and it gets into the cab.

I was going to replace all of them and the CDR, along with do an oil change and run some additive through the fuel system

If your not using a lot of oil, the CDR may be OK. Check with an IH dealer if you replace it more than likely cheaper there. A good dose of SeaFoam will clean the system, but be ready to change the fuel filter. Fill the filter with some and run it out to clean the IP and injectors.

Check O-F-I.COM for injectors. At least they have a warranty and no core charge. They should be awful close to you.

An oil and filter change would be manditory, then you have a change starting point.
It would be wise to change the coolant also. Drain and flush. Drain the block also, there is a drain plug on each side, drivers side is at the rear, pass side is behind the starter, both are brass hex plugs, so use a six point wrench, the hex will round off easily with a 12 point.
IH dealers have the coolant with the SCA already in it. Get 4 gallons of concentrate, about $75, and 4 gallons of STEAM DISTILLED water from the grocery, that should fill an empty system. That should be good for 100,000 miles.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pipe was extended past the bed side, so I'm good there.
One of my close friends is actually the manager of oregon fuel injection, I'll have to stop by see him about that.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
First off I'd like to say this site is awesome, I've learned alot just searching the forums.
I just picked up an 85 F250 with a 6.9 and a 4 speed. There is a noise coming from the passenger side of the engine, it sounds like a loud tick from the top, and if I stick my head in the wheel well its almost a knocking noise, but not loud like a rod knock. It still has the factory injectors, so I'm assuming one of them is getting pretty worn out and causing an injector knock. I was going to replace all of them and the CDR, along with do an oil change and run some additive through the fuel system. Is there anything else I should do? Also, I found a set of delphi injectors new on ebay for like $174, seemed pretty reasonable but are they good injectors?

Thank you very much in advance,

are the injectors from pensicola diesel or diesel care performance?? read the hall of shame thread in the stickys. DONT BUY FROM DIESEL CARE PERFORMANCE!! prolly half of the hall of shames are from there products. spend a little more money and buy them from russ (typ4) or mel (agnem) on here. they stand behind there product and pop test / match them. exhaust dont really matter ive got mine straight piped.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no they weren't, but I'll still go through the ones mentioned in your post. I'd rather spend a little extra to get good injectors then not. Thank you!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me Russ, forgot all about you for injectors. Newberg is just up the road from Junction City. mrbrink, PM typ4 to see if he has any.