New injection pump acceleration getting stuck now

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to explain my problem. Installed new injection pump and now it starts up great. Idles just fine. But once into 1st gear and start driving it wants to take off. And if put into neutral the rpms keep going up until I turn off the motor. Drive it a min and it goes away. Let truck sit for few hours does it all over again. It's like my foot is on the acceleration peddle but it's not. Put it into gear and it goes forward and I don't even have to push the peddle.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only does this issue the first few minutes of driving then goes away. But has done it Everytime it's parked a few hours.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely in your throttle cable. There isn't internal throttle return springs in the IP's. There should be a spring on the cable and should be an external spring that attaches to the linkage. Make sure you have both and your throttle cable isn't binding.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also what's you fast idle solenoid adjusted too? Supposed to knock up the idle speed when the engine is (coolant) is cold. Can thread it in or out depending on what you want your fast (cold) idle to be.

Heath

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the idle solenoid it's sticking I was finally able to catch it stuck it's getting stuck in the extended position. is there a part number for these advance Auto has one but it's $125 and it says it may not fit

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cold idle solenoid is adjustable. The rod that pushes out has a small hex head on it, 1/4” I think. Using a small box wrench, thread it in to reduce its travel, i.e. raise the idle less than it does now. Also the bracket that mounts it to the Inj. pump has some slop in it too. Loosen the two 7/16” head bolts and move it as far away from the throttle lever as you can. It sounds like the solenoid is working correctly. When the engine is cold, the solenoid is energized when you turn the key on, but won’t set until you depress the throttle. After it’s been running a few minutes and the coolant reaches 112deg or so a switch opens up and the solenoid releases. If the truck sits a couple of hours, it will start all over again because the coolant temperature is low enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.