Need some insight on 6.9 problem

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum here, and somewhat new to IDI diesels. Had an 86 a few years back but never really wrenched on it and it never had an issue. I recently picked up an 84 ext cab 4x4 M/T for next to nothing. It has an ATS turbo, and that's about the only upgrade. It idles rough, pukes out white smoke when it's warmed up, and dumps white smoke when under load. Not more than a very slight haze when it's cold, and blows black to gray when I rev it cold. I've checked all injectors by loosening the lines, and all checked out like they should. Though I know that's not the end of testing them for proper function, but they are working. What I'm confused about is how on cyl #1, there is oil seeping from around the exhaust manifold. Also on cyl 1, the glow plug is wet. I tried moving injectors and glow plugs around, but the problem stayed on cyl 1. Here's a link to a video I made of it. Please excuse my terminology, as I was "relaxing" after a long day.

http://youtu.be/4H1wQRNW6zE

Let me know of any specific pictures/videos that may be of help. Thanks in advance!

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many here will be able to help you better than I, but to me, that looks A LOT like an overly rich mixture, like those guys that like to 'roll coal' tune. :dunno

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I was thinking injection pump from the get go, since previous owner said it had suddenly started blowing white smoke, then progressively got worse. He also said he replaced the injectors and it didn't help. But I'm still wondering about the one wet glow plug.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the injectors replaced new/used/good reman/cheap reman? even a good reman injector that got debris run through it will stick open and give you grief.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
088 with 085 airbox from my research. And towcat, I understand that the injectors may not be the best as I'm unsure of where he got them. They will be getting replaced in the near future. I swapped the injectors and glow plugs from cyl 1 to 2 and the glow plug that was wet ended up dry after running it, and the dry one I put on cyl 1 became wet. No specific injector is causing me issues, just the one cylinder. Possibly valve train related?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
088 with 085 airbox from my research. And towcat, I understand that the injectors may not be the best as I'm unsure of where he got them. They will be getting replaced in the near future. I swapped the injectors and glow plugs from cyl 1 to 2 and the glow plug that was wet ended up dry after running it, and the dry one I put on cyl 1 became wet. No specific injector is causing me issues, just the one cylinder. Possibly valve train related?
if the wetness is following the cyl you put the injector in, you found your problem. it's your injector. unless your valvetrain is clattering, you don't have a problem in the longblock.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wetness is isolated to cylinder # 1. No matter what injector I put on there.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return lines daisy chained between your injectors are probably leaking if you messed with them.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think slight air intrusion into the return line would cause a wet glow plug in one cylinder? I know it'll cause white smoke, rough idle, hard starts, etc. But a wet glow plug?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking fuel was leaking past the o-rings under the return cap. I thought it was the injector that was wet. Does fuel bubble out from under the return cap? At any rate, once you remove a return line cap it is unlikely to seal without new o-rings.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres the oil on the manifold.. no exhaust leak, just oil seepage. this is the only spot on the engine. so I know the issue lies in cylinder #1. Or at least one issue if theres more than one
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: