NEED HELP!!!

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
truck isnt starting! i went to fire it up this morning and it started no problem but then about 10 seconds after starting the truck shook and then died... it turns over but it wont fire up anymore!! any help would be greatly appreciated!!! could it be fuel related??? fuel pump? electrical? thanks for helping !!:mad:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Definatly sounds fuel related. I would check to make sure you have fuel at the fuel filter, via the shraeder valve. If it does, then crack some injector lines, and have someone crank for 10 seconds, if you dont have fuel coming out, then you know its IP related. You might want to use the search here, and find out how to test the FSS (fuel shut off silenoid). That could also be a problem. I think it involves giving it 12 volts and seeing if it clicks open, if it doesnt do anything, then you know its the FSS. Hope that helps.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I'm with justin on this one... fuel related......... check all of the above listed stuff..... how much fuel is in the truck now? full tank or is it getting low?

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
heres the thing.... i was dinkin around and checking all what i could see.... thought id give it another crank... so i crank it over and its still not starting.... then i get a wild hair and decide to switch tanks... flip the switch and its starts. but it still feels like its idling a little rough on startup but then goes away... i drove it down the road and came back , ran like a champ, shut her off and tried again... she starts.. im not sure what the prblem is. i did notice that the cap under my fuel/water separator is leaking a bit andi cant tighten any more ... should i replace that ? could that b letting air into the system and causing it to idle rough?????????

FordGuy100

Reaction score
heres the thing.... i was dinkin around and checking all what i could see.... thought id give it another crank... so i crank it over and its still not starting.... then i get a wild hair and decide to switch tanks... flip the switch and its starts. but it still feels like its idling a little rough on startup but then goes away... i drove it down the road and came back , ran like a champ, shut her off and tried again... she starts.. im not sure what the prblem is. i did notice that the cap under my fuel/water separator is leaking a bit andi cant tighten any more ... should i replace that ? could that b letting air into the system and causing it to idle rough?????????

Was the tank you were on in the first place empty?

I've had the same problem before, its happened to me 3 times. First time I started my truck up, and put my backpack in the bed (driving around some friends to lunch, so we needed the room in the cab). Anyways, was walking back to the cab, and all the sudden my truck idle's up for a sec, and then starts running really rough. I jumped in the cab and switched tanks, held the rpm's at 1200rpm's (smooth there compared to idle), and a minute later all was good.

This then happened another time.

The last time though, about 2-3 weeks ago, it actually shut off on me. I started my truck up, and then went to take the BBQ out of the bed (BBQ for lunch is pretty damn cool ;Sweet). I was by the exhaust, when all the sudden my truck idle's up. I put the BBQ on the ground, and ran for the cab. Before I could get it, the truck shut off. I was like oh crap, now I gotta explain to my parents why my truck isnt running. I switched tanks, started turning it over, held my foot to the floor, and around 5 seconds later it started up. Idle'd a little rough, then even out.

It could have been that valve letting in air, but it sounds like you and me both have a bad fuel selector valve that is letting air in.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
yea im not sure.... i know i had about 1/2 tank in there beause i log the milege of each tank. after i got it started i switched back to the rear tank and havent had the problem again yet!! maybe its time for a new fuel selector valve and while im doing that i might as well change the fuel sending unit in front tank... ive never known how much fuel is in that tank. but thanks for your input justin i appreciate it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
yea im not sure.... i know i had about 1/2 tank in there beause i log the milege of each tank. after i got it started i switched back to the rear tank and havent had the problem again yet!! maybe its time for a new fuel selector valve and while im doing that i might as well change the fuel sending unit in front tank... ive never known how much fuel is in that tank. but thanks for your input justin i appreciate it.

Not a problem ;Sweet. I think the fuel selector valves are a Ford only part, and are pretty dang expensive, $100+ if I remember right.

And yeah, when mine cuts off like that, I'm not empty either, around a 1/4-1/3 tank.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
That should be what the issue is.... my truck, same thing, right around a 1/4 of a tank I know to switch it..... I've only started it up once when i was right on the 1/2 and it idled a little rough I said "ugh oh" and swapped the tank real quick and it smoothed out. I guess just do what the rest of us do if you don't want to replace the part, just remember to swap the tank!

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a problem like that, turned out to be rusted out fuel line to the rear tank. joe