need help truck making lots of nosie

fordhorse

Reaction score
i just fixed my crossover pipe and put it back on and now i have a really loud noise coming from the engine compartment it all most sounds like an n/a thats striat piped but the noise almost goes away at 1500 rpm and i checked the cross pipe and there wasn't anything in it here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWEIbn6ZyIQ

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give some more information? The sound quality on the video isn't terrific, being inside doesn't help as sounds just echo around. How do all the gauges look, how does it drive, how many miles on it, any smoke coming out the exhaust?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just fixed my crossover pipe and put it back on and now i have a really loud noise coming from the engine compartment it all most sounds like an n/a thats striat piped but the noise almost goes away at 1500 rpm and i checked the cross pipe and there wasn't anything in it here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWEIbn6ZyIQ

If all you did was take down the old cross over and replace it but now there is a noise, I'd be pretty sure it's something in that area causing the noise. I'd check pipe alignment and bad seal. While it's runnin, feel around the exhaust flange for the crossover for any puffs of exhaust. If so that's the leak. Anytime I install these I always put a coating of Copper High Temp Sealent on the flanges. Never had a leak after that.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just noise? What I mean is..... does the truck act normally. Not running rough, missing, changes in smoke, or anything else weird?

The best I can tell from the video, it sounds like a exhaust leak.:dunno Gotta climb underneath and have a good look at all the plumbing. Like stated above, look and feel for leaking exhaust. Didn't drop a nut into the cross over pipe by chance did ya?:D

Heath

fordhorse

Reaction score
the trucks got 250k on it and its puffing a little white smoke but it is not using coolant it uses very little oil maybe 1/2 a quirt for 5k its got a miss sometimes i took the cross pipe off again and there was nothing in there i tried getting the down pipe off but couldn't i drove it without the cross pipe on and it was OK for a minuet then it started rattling real loud

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
cross over pipes meaning the up pipes? A leak should be noticible on your boost gauge. Also the truck will bellow more black smoke as the turbo is not providing enough air. The black soot will quickly accumulate around the leak if this is the case. Good luck.

fordhorse

Reaction score
i just now remembered that the truck just started making the noise when i filled it up last time could that be related to the noise

fordhorse

Reaction score
ok so i looked everything over relay well there are no leaks and nothing wrong with the turbo the diesel was good nothing wrong with the fuel system i could find so i finally broke down and called a mechanic and he looked it over and ran it and he said the noise is coming from the oil-pan and the crank is probable broke and i should buy a new truck but if the crank is broke how could it run any time i have had a gas engine with a bottom end problem they wont run what do you guys think i really need help

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
if the vehicle made no noise and ran perfect before you changed this pipe. and now after the pipe change its making a bunch of noise then i would highly doubt that its a crank problem. i mean i guess its a possibility of coincidence but its hard to believe

fordhorse

Reaction score
it was making noise before i did the pipe but i thought it was a leak but the noise didn't go away the funny thing is i can still move the truck

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It depends on how and where the crank is broken. There is at least one other member that had a crank let go on him and his would still run.
What were you doing when it started making the noise?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you run the engine, have a good look at the harmonic damper on the front and at the flywheel with the tranny cover off. If either is wobbling about, you may have a broken crank. I can think of two folks that have broken a crank (pretty rare), and both were able to run the engine. Punkmechanic has a video of his running with a broken crank and you can see the balancer flopping around. I'll try and see if I can find it.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other member I was thinking of is Todd C. Anyway, I found Punk's video. If your balancer or flywheel look like this, time to pull the engine.

CLICK HERE

Heath