need help guys

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My grey truck is what were talkin about, the engine is out of my brown truck, when i first swapped them it ran great for awhile now i cant even drive it, i have changed the fuel filter the fuel pump, fixed a clogged return line and nothing fixes it, it will idle perfect all day but when you try to drive it if you start acce;arating or get on it its like it runs out of fuel and dies and you can crank forever and it will fire back up and run perfect but when you try to drive same thing, i cant figure it out, also tank selector valve is bypassed

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Hose kinking, pick up cloged, ect

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Maybe try running it out of a 5 gallon jug of diesel to see if it may be something in the tank. Maybe a hose under there is old enough that it collapses when you spin up the RPM's and put a good draw on it....

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I would look at the injection pump. I had that issue with my 94 it would idle but would dog out under load.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
have you checked the screen on the intlet of the injection pump

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
My initail guess is IP. I would however try to run it form a can of diesel on the ground first, and than even by pass the filter and try running right into the IP to make sure there isn't anything in the fuel filter housing. Also check the screen in the IP, seems to be a common issue.

PZ

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Make sure the tank vent isn't clogged. Try running with the fuel cap off. If it's clogged , tank will get a suction on it. it'll idle but once you put a demand on it, you run out

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok i think its fixed or almost.... IP is good garenteed, it was setting on like an 1/8th tank so i put 2 gallon in it and it got better so i went and limped the truck to the store and put 3 more gallon in it and its been running good, go figure, but it still surged like air about twice tonight when i drove it

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel tank pickup is rotted off. Anything above 1/4 tank you should be fine. Right now you're still ~1/4 tank. Hope it gets fixed quickly and cheaply.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
!/4 tank on a ford means empty. and it's not just these with the shower head problems. THey''ve always had that problem, it's just a bit more accentuated on some of these. Even way back on 60s models it was teh same thing and there was no plastic in the tank. They have always calibrated their gauges poorly, while GM has always gone to the opposite extreme leaving you to drive around half a day on E. And people wonder why I have a 150 gal bed tank...

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it's the fuel pickup - try running it with a full tank and see if that changes anything. Mine did something similar and it was the fuel siphon valve that had busted loose on the pickup that was sucking air everytime I hit a bump...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US