need a little flywheel/clutch kit help

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I am getting ready to put my 7.3 from my 93 f350 into my 89 f350 but need some info.
the 7.3 came with a E40D behind it and I am putting a zf5 on it for the 89.
What I want to know is what do I need to get for a flywheel and clutch kit everything I am reading keeps saying (This replacement part is intended only for applications that have already been converted to a solid flywheel ) what does that mean and do I need to buy any special parts to do it.

truck is a 89 F350 460 t19 4x4 excab drw. THX.

Reaction score
"This replacement part is intended only for applications that have already been converted to a solid flywheel"

A little history. From the factory, diesel trucks equipped with the ZF5 came with what was known as a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). Others can chime in on what it is and how exactly it works, but the main concept was to a) reduce cabin noise and b) to help keep the engine vibrations transmitted to the transmission to a minimum (for wear). Only thing is the DMFs are known to have issues, up to and including near catastrophic failure. On top of that, they aren't cheap. So, many moons ago, companies started offering a Single/Solid Mass Flywheel (SMF) option to 'convert' the flywheel and clutch setup to what is more commonly used in manual transmission vehicles. PROS are a) it's cheaper b) it doesn't have the design weaknesses of the DMF. CONS are basically the opposite of the PROS for the DMF.

So, the statement you're reading means that clutch component is meant to work with a SMF-style clutch setup.

Whether to replace with a DMF or a SMF has been debated many, many times, so I'll leave it to you to do some research and determine which way you want to go, but hopefully this helps.

Mike

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to put my 7.3 from my 93 f350 into my 89 f350 but need some info.
the 7.3 came with a E40D behind it and I am putting a zf5 on it for the 89.
What I want to know is what do I need to get for a flywheel and clutch kit everything I am reading keeps saying (This replacement part is intended only for applications that have already been converted to a solid flywheel ) what does that mean and do I need to buy any special parts to do it.

truck is a 89 F350 460 t19 4x4 excab drw. THX.

Let me get this straigt...

you want to install a diesel engine and DIESEL ZF into a truck is the bottom line and need to know what you need to do so correct?

You will need the following;

correct Slave cylinder for the ZF transmission
correct x member for ZF
complete clutch/flywheel kit for diesel and ZF be it a single mass or dual mass..your choice. An entire kit is needed flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and pilot bearing. Some here say Kevlar pilot bearing however I cannot find one of those locally what so ever!
correct connector for reverse lamp
correct tailshaft on tcase to provide a gear driven speedo the info LOL

That about sums it all up as far as I know....

Hope that helps.

Al

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
So whit I am seeing is there is nothing special to install a SMF I don't need anything but whats in the kit.

as for the e40d parts all I have left is the flywheel and torq converter.

also I thought I read somewhere that the slave from my T19 would work but I could be wrong.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
On a side note I am getting the zf5 with transfer case already on it and I will take the crosmember when I get to the parts truck. also my reverse lights are on a toggle switch wired from the battery. and a 5 prong black box that for the life of me I cant think of the name.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct connector for reverse lamp
correct tailshaft on tcase to provide a gear driven speedo the info LOL
Actually backup lights connectors are all the same on Ford manual transmissions, I'm running a '70s NP435 and my bricknose harness (out of a ZF5 truck IIRC) plugged right in it. Since his '89 truck is a t19 from the factory, wiring should be a direct plug and play affair.

As far as transfer case go, he's best off keeping the one that's in the '89 truck now as it already matches the driveshafts, and the wiring harness and shifter linkage are correct for the truck as well. The '93 t-case will be a slip-yoke BW1356 which could require a different rear driveshaft (if the '89 case is a fixed-yoke BW1345) and will likely not have the speedometer cable provisions the '89 truck requires, plus there is the different shifter linkage and harness hookups to deal with as well.

In other words just change the engine and the transmission, and leave everything else as is factory for the '89 truck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After all that work and you finally get it all bolted in, the first thing that is going to happen is the truck is not going to crank over. That's because the neutral safety for the automatic is down on the side of the tranny, and you just took it out. If you do not get the proper harness for your truck, then you need to take the old automatic harness, find the two red/blue wires, strip them and twist those two wires together. Then it will crank over.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Franklin, while what you're saying is correct for swapping an auto to a stick, if I'm reading it correct it's the '89 truck he's doing the swap in, and that was T19-equipped from the factory. Meaning he already has the correct harness to work with the ZF5, and if he retains his current transfer case all he'll need to do is plug in the reverse lights pigtail into te ZF5. Which he may or may not be doing since he has them on a switch and a relay. Either way, his truck will start just fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Franklin, while what you're saying is correct for swapping an auto to a stick, if I'm reading it correct it's the '89 truck he's doing the swap in, and that was T19-equipped from the factory. Meaning he already has the correct harness to work with the ZF5, and if he retains his current transfer case all he'll need to do is plug in the reverse lights pigtail into te ZF5. Which he may or may not be doing since he has them on a switch and a relay. Either way, his truck will start just fine.

I think you are right, thanks for the correction.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
yes the 89 that I am putting it all into has the t19.
the only thing from the 93 I am using is the engine and related parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle