Mystery water coming from exhaust

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
So my truck sat for a week while I waited for a new fuel pump to come in the mail........:backoff

It rained off and on during the week too, but the hood was down.

I got my pump this afternoon, installed it, bled the system via the schrader valve.

When I started it, it had a strange tick or somewhat of a knock that wouldn't go away, especially on when high idling.

I had the passenger wheel off and noticed something bubbling out of the last cylinder on the manifold, it was water. The two last bolts were loose, i could tighten them about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The water substance didn't look green, and a little stream had started, but not much. Note it has not rained for a couple days, so maybe somehow rain water got into one of the cylinders. :puke:

I then looked at the exhaust, water flying out, not dripping, but not a lot. My goggles completely fogged up from the exhaust, and that was after running for a minute. Also I did not notice the exhaust smelling sweet.

So, I find rain water unlikely though because the hood was down and the intake was not off. Looks like a head gasket or Cavitation? I will be pressure testing the cooling system to see what happens.

What do you guys think? :dunno

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know man. The fact that it's plain water seems to argue against a HG or cavitation problem.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
So my truck sat for a week while I waited for a new fuel pump to come in the mail........:backoff

It rained off and on during the week too, but the hood was down.

I got my pump this afternoon, installed it, bled the system via the schrader valve.

When I started it, it had a strange tick or somewhat of a knock that wouldn't go away, especially on when high idling.

I had the passenger wheel off and noticed something bubbling out of the last cylinder on the manifold, it was water. The two last bolts were loose, i could tighten them about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The water substance didn't look green, and a little stream had started, but not much. Note it has not rained for a couple days, so maybe somehow rain water got into one of the cylinders. :puke:

I then looked at the exhaust, water flying out, not dripping, but not a lot. My goggles completely fogged up from the exhaust, and that was after running for a minute. Also I did not notice the exhaust smelling sweet.

So, I find rain water unlikely though because the hood was down and the intake was not off. Looks like a head gasket or Cavitation? I will be pressure testing the cooling system to see what happens.

What do you guys think? :dunno
Could just be condinsation?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
How is the hood to cowling seal? If the hood is down and this seal is bad it can allow water to drip onto the air cleaner housing. Now if you have a non turbo and the water gets on the air cleaner lid and the rubber seal on the center bolt isn't at 100% then water can get down into the intake manifold and make it's way all the way into the combustion chamber. We have seen guys over the years with both these seals bad find water in the engine. So you might want to check both of those seals out. I have seen guys go as far as making a shield to direct the water away from the air cleaner lid because of fitment problems with the hood to cowl to counteract this.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Watching the coolant level in the overflow tank is the best way to see if your loosing coolant. Being a turbo engine I can't see rainwater getting into the cylinders. What bolts were loose. Head bolts don't vibrate loose. I recall working on this engine in the mountains with you and I recall the coolant was green plus we added some.:sly

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I am dunno about the condensation, it seemed like a lot of water, and the fact that it was coming out in between the head and the manifold concerns me.

The hood to cowling seal is shot though...

Gary, yup this is the truck that you helped me with. The two closest bolts to the fire wall that hold the exhaust manifold are the ones that were loose, and thats where the water was bubbling out of and forming a small stream.

This engine has seen two overheating in the last 50,000 miles unfortunately. The overheating issue has been resolved with a new fan clutch(thanks to Gary's kind help, he drove all the way up to big bear to personally deliver it to me), a new t-stat, and a new radiator.

The noise that I heard when I first fired it up for the first time after a week was what I can only imagine was water being mashed in the cylinder, or a friend suggested that the HG is leaking compression between two cylinders. It was a little more than a tapping sound, it has quited down to a tick now.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if the cowl seal is shot you may have parked the rig in such a way that rain water leaked into the loose exhaust. Just drive it but keep an eye on the coolant too. I'm not thinking you have a problem at this time.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Well if the cowl seal is shot you may have parked the rig in such a way that rain water leaked into the loose exhaust. Just drive it but keep an eye on the coolant too. I'm not thinking you have a problem at this time.

Ya i will definatly. The last thing I need to do right now is a HG job.... couldn't afford to do one right now. LOL

I will pressure test it monday or tuesday when I am at the shop for peace of mind.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water is one of the products of combustion. Could it be that this is completely normal? A cold vehicle often drips out the tailpipe, until it warms up enough and it comes out as steam (and you can't see it). The loose bolts could just be a coincidence, and you happened to notice it bubbling there. Condensation could be a possibility too. If it does it when warmed up, now that would be a problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any water in the exhaust manifolds will need to pass thru the hot side of the turbo to make it out the tail pipe. That may have been the noise you heard too. The slight ticking noise you hear now is probably an exhaust leak. They make a odd sound when they are a tight leak. Kind of a metalic knock sound sometimes.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I understand that there may be a little bit of water coming out from condensation, but this was much more than normal. I have a straight pipe and it dumps out at a 90 right after the cab, so there is no real place for water to collect in the exhaust system.

I like garys theory, the two loose bolts allowed water to seep into the exhaust because the cowling is shot... simple and makes the most sense to me right now. :thumbsup:

So guys, I have just been really paranoid since the two overheating incidences. Im scared for life after overheating going over a 10,000 ft pass in the rockies, and no where to pull over, haha, My water temp was at 220, I eased way up, but before i knew it the water temp grew out of control up to 245-250:puke::eek:

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
presure test the cooling system if it hold presure it was just rain water if not its either cavitation or a head gasket when my engine cavitated the first few times water came out the exhaust it was clear with no hint of coolant as it progressed I could see coolant in it. Did the motor strugle to crank at first?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
presure test the cooling system if it hold presure it was just rain water if not its either cavitation or a head gasket when my engine cavitated the first few times water came out the exhaust it was clear with no hint of coolant as it progressed I could see coolant in it. Did the motor strugle to crank at first?

exactly my plan. ;Sweet

I cant really say if it struggled because i bumped the engine over quite a few times to make sure I had the cam in the right position to install the pump. The noise it made when firing was strange and new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online