Mysterious air lock

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redneckaggie already mentioned something similar. But when it dies have you looked at all the rubber lines especially at bends to make sure there're not getting sucked closed? Granted it was a gasser, a old chev I had kept sucking the rubber fuel line closed that ran between the frame rail and mech FP. After 10 minutes give or take a couple the vacuum would bleed off and I could drive a few miles then it'd collapse again. Just a thought.

Oh nm you said you bypassed the mech pump

Beads 93 idi

Brads 93 idi
Reaction score
my buddy is in the same boat we are having issues with it losing its prime one tank is 3/4 full and the other one is being sucked from a 5 gal jug

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have missed it somewhere along the way, but I think you had mentioned that it blows white smoke until it heats up. It also dies after it heats up. What kind of smoke are you getting if any when it dies? Does it feel gutless first or does it just stutter stumble and quit?

I don't remember seeing this information yet, how old are the injectors?

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it blows white smoke on start up and will puff it out at idle and if I tap the pedal it will be black then white following right behind it. When it dies as I'm driving it will start smoking white real bad, it isnt responsive at all (i can put the pedal to the floor and no response) and then finally just die. the injectors are maybe 5k miles old. So I dont think thats the problem. Any suggestions welcome.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I would mount a fuel pressure gauge plumbed into the cab, see what your fuel pressure is doing while it is dying, I have had lines suck closed and cause this problem, I have also had an electric pump gum up internally and do this, To prevent that I removed the electric pump, cleaned it, and reinstalled with a little in line prefilter, the pump would not pull hard enough to keep the truck running with a brand new prefilter before it, i removed the prefilter and now I just remove the bottom from the pump and clean the internals about every 6 months to a year.

Are you running the propane while it is doing this.

What electric pump are you running?

have you done a volume and pressure test at the fuel filter head to confirm the pump is performing to par.

Are you running straight diesel.

does the truck surge when it dies, are you leaving it in gear and letting it coast while it dies?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I would also remove one pump or the other they could be counteracting each other. I have gone as far as running my own line from an e pump all the way up to the filter head to eliminate any possible hairline cracks in lines.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my truck only had the 1 tank from the PO so I fabbed up and ran my own line to and from the tank and the engine. Running dual tanks later on might be interesting, but at least I know what I am working with.

I've had your symptoms before. the first time was debris from the injector pump that clogged up the check valve in the return line off the top of the injector pump, so fuel had no where to go. The second time was fuel starvation from insufficient fuel getting to the injector pump. In both cases, the injector pump was getting pretty hot as well.

It sounds like a fuel flow thing from the smoke color.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "T" at the end of the return line system near the back of the engine can be a trouble point for return line systems. It can leak and suck in air and it can clog. Maybe check that for problems.

Also, If you haven't already done so, run a jerry can of diesel with new source and return lines going to it. That should eliminate everything from the engine bay back.

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no im not running propane when it dies. Yes ive done a fuel pressure test and everthing is working fine. Running staight diesel and i do leave it in gear and let it coast to die. The e fuel pump is an airtex.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
airtex rated at what psi and gph

what did the volume test yeild

what did the pressure test yeild

Have you tried removing the prefilter

Have you tried removing the mechanical pump

please answer all of these and provide a little detail

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if someone else said this. I'm kinda grasping for straws here but if you were to take jug of fuel and hold it above your injection pump so that gravity was your fuel pump, would that help rule out lift pump? I guess that would be tough to do when you're driving though ha ha.

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Airtex rated at 5-7 lbs. Pressure test 5 lbs. Havent removed pre filter. Havent take the mechanical pump but i have by passed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.