My trucks accel run.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is a vid (Very poor quality from cell phone at night) of my truck accelerating onto the highway but NOT from a dead stop, I think I was rolling at about 10-15 MPH in second gear, this was right after I turned onto the highway, the other pic is from google earth showing the distance I went, I let off the throttle right as the guard rail passed (I let off when I hit about 67ish miles an hour). Not bad I think for an old tired IDI, it can even keep up with my buddies 07 Ram 2500 5.9 Cumapart (nice engine though, just not an IH IDI), granted his is an auto...and lifted.... and a mega cab.....and has bigger tires....and can kill my truck off the line cause of my axle hop I can still SLOWLY creep past him from a rolling start LOL . BTW this was with my old original injectors!!

Attachments

• Accel Distance.GIF
    Accel Distance.GIF
    80.3 KB · Views: 106
  • MOV00002.wmv
    2.9 MB · Views: 158

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too shabby.... She's got some get up and go ;Sweet

Hearing the IDI sound brings back some memories... :thumbsup:

I also love the sound this engine makes, you know you are driving an oil burner when you are in it, even at idle the clatter is great, the newer engines are way too quiet for me, they sound like gassers when at an idle and are too "refined" for my liking, the only thing I wish my IDI had that the new engines have is the aftermarket support.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
go, baby go.......got to get mine to do that.

fuel screw time:D

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, when the blue lights are flashin' you're supposed to pull over, not speed up:rotflmao

Nice video tho, good running IDI ;Sweet

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is a vid (Very poor quality from cell phone at night) of my truck accelerating onto the highway but NOT from a dead stop, I think I was rolling at about 10-15 MPH in second gear, this was right after I turned onto the highway, the other pic is from google earth showing the distance I went, I let off the throttle right as the guard rail passed (I let off when I hit about 67ish miles an hour). Not bad I think for an old tired IDI, it can even keep up with my buddies 07 Ram 2500 5.9 Cumapart (nice engine though, just not an IH IDI), granted his is an auto...and lifted.... and a mega cab.....and has bigger tires....and can kill my truck off the line cause of my axle hop I can still SLOWLY creep past him from a rolling start LOL . BTW this was with my old original injectors!!

I own an '06 Ram 3500 dually with the 5.9, and owned a hopped up (turbo'd) '91 F-350 with 7.3 before that. My Ram (6-speed) will do 0-60 in less than 9 seconds, and I counted a few ticks longer in your vid. Truck is stock. Your friend's Dodge must really be saddled with some heavy meats and bad aerodynamics.

I will give the 7.3 its due off the line. Mine had a turbo, and it did well off the line before the turbo spooled up. Biggest issue with the Cummins in my current truck is that it is torque-limited off the line (unlike my '91 F-350) because it makes TOO MUCH torque at low RPMs, otherwise, for quick starts off a stop. When the limit code kicks off (above 2000 RPM), the thing will veritably pin you to your seat.

Your truck is a rocket for an old IDI. What will it pull, and how well does it maintain speed and temperatures on long hills when towing that weight? With today's economy, it is almost tempting to find another IDI like I had and soup it up like you've done. I'm impressed. As much as I love my new Ram, I love the '88-'91 Fords with 7.3L IDIs at least as much--for different reasons.

Mike

Last edited:

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own an '06 Ram 3500 dually with the 5.9, and owned a hopped up (turbo'd) '91 F-350 with 7.3 before that. My Ram (6-speed) will do 0-60 in less than 9 seconds, and I counted a few ticks longer in your vid. Truck is stock. Your friend's Dodge must really be saddled with some heavy meats and bad aerodynamics.

I will give the 7.3 its due off the line. Mine had a turbo, and it did well off the line before the turbo spooled up. Biggest issue with the Cummins in my current truck is that it is torque-limited off the line (unlike my '91 F-350) because it makes TOO MUCH torque at low RPMs, otherwise, for quick starts off a stop. When the limit code kicks off (above 2000 RPM), the thing will veritably pin you to your seat.

Your truck is a rocket for an old IDI. What will it pull, and how well does it maintain speed and temperatures on long hills when towing that weight? With today's economy, it is almost tempting to find another IDI like I had and soup it up like you've done. I'm impressed. As much as I love my new Ram, I love the '88-'91 Fords with 7.3L IDIs at least as much--for different reasons.

Mike

Well the most I have towed with it is around 9000lbs or so, it was a Cat 236B skid steer (about 7000lbs) I rented from work with the trailers from work which weigh in at around a ton, it is about 22 miles from work to home and most of it is flat freeway but the last bit of highway (about 1 1/4 miles at 300 or so feet of climb) is a 4.5% grade to that same turnoff and the truck maintained 55MPH in fourth gear (speed limit is 50, I got a run at it to keep rpm's up), temp wise if I had a mech gauge I could tell you the numbers but letters will have to do lol, during this climb at WOT the temp gauge moved to between the RM or NORMAL which is higher than where it normally sits right at the N. The most I have done to this truck is just normal maitenance and I turned up the fuel screw ALOT!!!, it only rolls coal until the turbo spools then there is a dark haze of black out the pipe unless loaded then it is a bit darker, max boost i've seen is about 14 or so and that was that climb. The funny thing about this truck is that the torque rise is subtle that it will not shove you in the seat like your truck (or for that matter most new ones lol), I am going to have to get a new vid with the new injectors then with the Moose pump when I get that :thumbsup:. As for my buddies truck it is a DOG, he is running 37's at least and the truck is heavy cause of the mega cab but those big tires are hard to spin off the line compared to my skinny ones, but he has also now has thrown a tuner on it so we don't compare any more :rotflmao.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online