My options, and your opinions.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Occasionally people do drill those bolt holes out. I've seen one pair that were drilled out. It seems like there was one other difference too. It had to do with the bottom row of bolt holes, but I can't remember what it is right now.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about a game changer! I put my 6.9 on a engine stand a couple weeks ago and as I have time I stare at it. I was thinking about the movie "Grease" and maybe a couple of you could come over and we could do a well choreographed dance and song thing and maybe my truck would fix itself in a couple minutes, but probably not. So, in my staring today I noticed something that has eluded me until about an hour ago............it has sleeves......all 8 holes. So my question becomes, what's the practicality of me resleeving it myself?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
what's the practicality of me resleeving it myself?
Well that depends. Can you remove the sleeves that are in it now? I have no idea what that involves. Can you make sure that there's an interference fit to keep the new sleeves in place? I'm pretty sure that new sleeves come undersized (inside where the pistons ride on purpose. Can you bore them out to the correct size? Can you hone them out properly? If it has press in piston cooling jets, can you remove them and reinstall them yourself? You can't hone the cylinders (and probably can't bore them either) with those installed. Home grown machine work isn't impossible, but most of it does involve experience, equipment, and money.
My answer is probably not.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that depends. Can you remove the sleeves that are in it now? I have no idea what that involves. Can you make sure that there's an interference fit to keep the new sleeves in place? I'm pretty sure that new sleeves come undersized (inside where the pistons ride on purpose. Can you bore them out to the correct size? Can you hone them out properly? If it has press in piston cooling jets, can you remove them and reinstall them yourself? You can't hone the cylinders (and probably can't bore them either) with those installed. Home grown machine work isn't impossible, but most of it does involve experience, equipment, and money.
My answer is probably not.
There is a half inch lip down at the bottom to stop the sleeve from going down. But yeah, probably not....... maybe.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about a game changer! I put my 6.9 on a engine stand a couple weeks ago and as I have time I stare at it. I was thinking about the movie "Grease" and maybe a couple of you could come over and we could do a well choreographed dance and song thing and maybe my truck would fix itself in a couple minutes, but probably not. So, in my staring today I noticed something that has eluded me until about an hour ago............it has sleeves......all 8 holes. So my question becomes, what's the practicality of me resleeving it myself?
If you have a fully equipped machine shop I would say practical

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
Well I always say to find an age you like and stick with it. I thought 23 sounded like a good age, so I have stuck with it.
Actually in January I will be 79.
Majority of people are old between the ears,
all they talk about, "Oh Iam getting so old",
and they are 50 or 60 or?
You are what you think.....
or what you eat.....

True the young generation`s don`t want anything old, always after the new thing that is available.

Iam surprised by some of your ages, and who is holding onto a Mouse looking at a screen on the other end.

Lots of the High Schools have dropped Auto Shop and course`s like that, where that could stimulate interests in that direction.
I was in the FFA and we had a huge Farm Mechanics Building, had welding and all that sort of things....but that is all gone now.

Figure it has a lot to do with liability with the way our society thinks now and is.

Goat
Not necessary anymore. Plug in to the OBD, do some parts changing, if that fails to fix it, change more related parts, if that fails, it needs a new engine.
Technicians = parts changers.
That Is diagnosing nowadays.
Jesusfreak, I am probably 30 miles south of you. My IDI is in Crestview where most of my jobs are. Maybe we can meet some day.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Not necessary anymore. Plug in to the OBD, do some parts changing, if that fails to fix it, change more related parts, if that fails, it needs a new engine.
Technicians = parts changers.
That Is diagnosing nowadays.
Jesusfreak, I am probably 30 miles south of you. My IDI is in Crestview where most of my jobs are. Maybe we can meet some day.
As a heavy duty diesel technician, I politely disagree with your statement. I actually have to diagnose things on trucks.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't an 8n or a model t. Most rebuilds/machining needs to take place in some sort of shop for it to be done accurately and correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx