My idi mud truck. before and after pics

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Ok, so i started off with a bone stock 87 F-250 4x4 with the 6.9 idi and a 4 speed trans. It wasnt the prettiest looking truck, but i got it for $600. I put a Solid Axel under the front of it and lifted it 4 inches. And i got a free set of 38.5/16/16.5 super swamper tires. So this is what it looked liked after the lift and tires.
You must be registered for see images
(i was making sure the 4x4 works)
So then i turned up the ip, advanced the timing a bit, put a single 4 inch stack on, put on my custom made winch bumper i had from my F-150 mud truck, and then slapped on a free black with metallic flake paint job and this is what i got now.

First mud drags are this saturday. Hopefully it does good.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Whats the problem with the blocks, springs, and steering? This is strictly a mud truck, i doubt it will ever see 20 mph or leave second gear. Sure if it was gunna be drivin on the road i woulda went and did it the proper way, but since im never gunna register it, i think itll work fine.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
first hard rut you catch the front will come out. to much side stress with blocks

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Not really any ruts, its mud drag racing, straight shot through the mud pit, and its only 4 inch blocks, welded to the axle spring perches.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front blocks = trouble waiting to happen.

Should find a grooving iron and cut those swampers to get a bit more tread depth from them.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you re only going straight in the mud, there is a lot of leverage on those blocks and u bolts. Especially on the front suspension.
It will probably hold , but i would check to make sure they stay tight after every run.

I manage to crack the frame horns where the shackle reverse bolts on . Thats the kind of forces the front end sees when wheeling.
You never know when you'll get airborn. Especially at mud drags.

I recommend you trim some fenders and lose some height fom the blocks. Or shackle reverse the front. Whick will give you 3.5 inch lift with no blocks.

The ride will be so much better also.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom of course, is where the concerns over front blocks are coming from. However, since you are not putting it on the street, the only concern left is your humiliation if they drag you out in pieces. Your extensive use of the word "free" has me jelous, as I never get any good deals like that. However, your going to compete against guys who probably don't believe free is an option, and a $100 bill beats free on the track all the time. Best of luck to you.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice budget build... guess there are more mudders on here than i thought!! currently building another mud toy myself..

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
My springs on top of the 60 (factory sprung under on a 44) with the 39.5s best my frame so bad I rippedd off every front spring hanger, cracked and tore the frame apart, even after I added a trac bar! Be careful with those blocks. My friend has a 4x4 '03, wrecker on 4 blocks, hes pulled the front and apart a few times, some people never learn.

Last edited:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really nice budget build if I would have jumped on that truck in a second and the 4in blocks are ok you got cheap and still have lil in it I would play with it knowing you don't have alot in her and break her and fix her up the right way but it's a cheap nice toy play with it like you paid for it and make it better later nice start though that's more than most get to start with

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run it like ya stole it.....if those blocks eff things up and ya break...fix it right without blocks then keep on racing...simple nuff...JUST DO NOT ever put that on the road with those blocks!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nuthing but, liking the looks of that cheap build!!

Have fun, let us know what happens!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist