My first diesel, 92 cummins W-250 4x4

Magnum

Reaction score
Well, I bought it. 1992 Dodge W250 4x4 with Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel. $1500.00. I thought I got a hell of a deal. The owner told me the tranny is making a howling noise but I drove it and it runs fine. I suspect something internally is going out in the tranny. It is the Getrag-360 5 spd manual. I'll have to drop it out and get it looked at. The truck was a one owner vehicle with 132,000 miles on the clock. The owner has a new Duramax so that's why he wanted to sell this one. I originally planned on putting this engine and tranny in my 79 Chevy Dually 4x4 but I may just leave it in the dodge.

I'm a chevy man so can anybody here tell me what the W-250 4x4's came with in 92. I know it has the getrag tranny but what kind of axles and transfer case were in these trucks. Is the T-case a NP205 ? Is the front axle a Dana 44 and the rear a Dana 60 or 70 ? Any help from those with knowledge would be appreciated. Also the owner claims the truck has 4.10 gears in the rear but when I looked under the hood the factory sticker said the front axle ratio was 3.50 or 3.55 (I cant remember which one) The rear ratio wouldn't be different from the front would it ? I've never heard of that? I know a few people on here semmed perfectly happy with the Getrag tranny but I was wondering if I need a fresh rebuild would I be better off going with a NV 4500. Will that tranny swap right in without modifications ?
I look forward to the fuel mileage I should get with this truck. The owner claimed 16-24 mpg depending on driving and towing or not. I don't know if it will be that good but all I know is anything is better than the 7 mpg I was getting with my old 454 gasser. Thanks for reading all of this and any input to my questions is appreciated. Thanks, Matt.

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
Magnum said:
Well, I bought it. 1992 Dodge W250 4x4 with Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel. $1500.00. I thought I got a hell of a deal. The owner told me the tranny is making a howling noise but I drove it and it runs fine. I suspect something internally is going out in the tranny. It is the Getrag-360 5 spd manual. I'll have to drop it out and get it looked at. The truck was a one owner vehicle with 132,000 miles on the clock. The owner has a new Duramax so that's why he wanted to sell this one. I originally planned on putting this engine and tranny in my 79 Chevy Dually 4x4 but I may just leave it in the dodge.

I'm a chevy man so can anybody here tell me what the W-250 4x4's came with in 92. I know it has the getrag tranny but what kind of axles and transfer case were in these trucks. Is the T-case a NP205 Yes? Is the front axle a Dana 44 and the rear a Dana 60 Front( or 70 Rear? Any help from those with knowledge would be appreciated. Also the owner claims the truck has 4.10 gears in the rear but when I looked under the hood the factory sticker said the front axle ratio was 3.50 or 3.55 They are probably both 3.54(I cant remember which one) The rear ratio wouldn't be different from the front would it ? I've never heard of that? I know a few people on here semmed perfectly happy with the Getrag tranny but I was wondering if I need a fresh rebuild would I be better off going with a NV 4500. Will that tranny swap right in without modifications ? You'll have to do some drive shaft work, floor patching etc.
I look forward to the fuel mileage I should get with this truck. The owner claimed 16-24 mpg depending on driving and towing or not. I don't know if it will be that good but all I know is anything is better than the 7 mpg I was getting with my old 454 gasser. Thanks for reading all of this and any input to my questions is appreciated. Thanks, Matt.

Sounds like a good deal ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online