My '93 F-250 IDI Overhaul Thread

TurboDan

Reaction score
I'll keep notes on my Ford "overhaul" thread in case anyone else has interest.

1993 Ford F-250, 7.3 IDI 4x4 w/5 speed. Truck was converted to a flatbed and put a dually rear end under it. Number of miles at present is around 250k.

I converted the front hubs to manual so that I could use low range to move my trailer around (very tight convoluted driveway).

The front end has a clunk in it so I decided to do bushings/ball joints/steering components/front brakes. Around the same time I decided I'd add a turbo because going up big hills the truck would really struggle.

To facilitate this I went ahead and pulled the front clip. It would take longer and be more bolts to remove, but I didn't want to be leaned over trying to do the turbo work, and it seemed like it would also make it a bit easier to do the front end work. I do not have a hoist.

I pulled the front end and noticed that the Radiator looked sad, some signs of leakage, so I ordered a new radiator. I'm planning to use the truck to pull a camper, so I also decided I'd replace more parts at the same time while I'm in there:

Alternator
Water Pump
Thermostat
Front crank seal
Balancer (Rubber looks like it's coming out somehow?)
Valve cover gaskets

My brakes never seemed like they worked well at all, so I also ordered a hydro boost kit as well as a new power steering pump.

I also ordered a windshield wiper motor, new throttle cable, new front e-brake cable, and new hood latch cable (2 of these items broke while working on the truck.

I also ordered a new heater core but I'm going to scrap the dashboard and build a new one. Don't get excited, I'm not an artist and I'm sure it won't look nice...my last truck had light switches on the dashboard:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'll install a custom auxiliary heater instead of using the Ford stuff. Aux heater was ordered from Jegs, along with bulkhead connectors for the heater hoses. I'm also going to sheetmetal over the heater box area under the hood. It really takes up quite a bit of room under the hood and I don't have patience for that anymore.

So I needed to get the exhaust off for the turbo, and I ended up pulling the manifolds and removing the pipes. I read stories about the oil cooler having issues, so I ordered a new one from Tasca with new gaskets as well. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Folks convinced me to go a head and install new head gaskets and studs, so I ordered those along with new valve springs from Classic Diesel Designs along with some return line and other misc stuff.

I knew the fuel system had issues and I was getting concerned about the nylon fuel lines and the tank selector, so I also ordered the CDD 38 gallon tank. I pulled my side tank last night and found a hole while I was moving it around in the garage along with some serious rust...so it was only a matter of time anyway. I have no idea why ford didn't just stick a 38 gallon tank in to begin with? Getting the rear driver side cab bolt off with the tank on the truck is a ******.

In general, I want to simplify. I don't care how it looks, I only care how it functions and how easy it is to work on. I know the turbo will make that more complex and not less, but the truck really can't handle the Sierra Nevada mountains with any significant load. I've been on grades while towing another truck where I went down into 2nd and was starting to get concerned I'd need to go into 1st gear, not a good feeling.

I went a head and ordered a moose junior pump as well, and I ordered up some new injectors. I checked the new injectors and they are "D" injectors. I ordered new glow plugs as well, purchased Motorcraft brand.

The truck was a farm truck prior to me and the interior was really rough. I pulled the dash which I no longer intend to use and I bought a new speedometer with a GPS unit. I junked the entire wiring harness inside and out, I'll redo the entire thing. I just don't trust it, as soon as I got the dash apart I saw a bunch of modifications. I didn't do those modifications so I can't vouch for their quality. New harness with Deutsch connectors and two Deutsch bulk head fittings to go between the cab and the engine compartment. I'll sheetmetal over the factory bulkhead fittings.

I put new tires on the truck about a year ago and they are basically new, so it's got good rubber.

I ordered some new carpet for the interior. The passenger seat is fine, the driver seat is junk. I'm not yet sure what I'll do about that. I converted the fuel system to an electric pump. I had replaced the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel about a year ago with a south bend heavy duty single mass system, so I'm set there.

The bed has a big harbor freight winch mounted on it and I custom made a 12v extension cord out of welding cable to run the winch with Anderson connectors at both ends. I use the same cable for some other things as well, so when I need the winch I pop the hood and plug it in, then when I'm done I unplug it and put it away.

Right now the engine is out and on a stand and I've been degreasing and cleaning it before I pull the intake and heads. Other than that I'm mostly waiting on parts.

Oh yeah, I ordered all new front steering parts and a Redhead steering box.

View media item 921View media item 923

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you're at it, I'd toss a set of poly body mounts in. Might help with clearance for the downpipe if yours are shot (as they likely are). I gained an inch of body lift on my crewcab just by replacing the shot bushings.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What radiator did you go with?

I lold at the 'dont get excited my last truck had light switches.'

You sound like you got a solid plan!

TurboDan

Reaction score
What radiator did you go with?

I lold at the 'dont get excited my last truck had light switches.'

You sound like you got a solid plan!
I got a radiator off of rockauto or summit racing can’t remember which. It’s aluminum one, but I have not personally had bad luck with aluminum in my vehicles.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man this sounds a lot like what I am doing with my 87. What pump did you go with? I need to do the steering schtuff as well. Haven't got those parts. What's up with the redhead what's the benefit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TurboDan

Reaction score
I got a Moose Junior pump. Just getting ready to pull the heads off for studs and gaskets now.

TurboDan

Reaction score
Man this sounds a lot like what I am doing with my 87. What pump did you go with? I need to do the steering schtuff as well. Haven't got those parts. What's up with the redhead what's the benefit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I just read a lot about Redhead being great quality. This is the first I’ve used, so I can’t comment yet.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's up with the redhead what's the benefit?

Redhead and Blue Top both use oversized bearings to take out slop from years of use as opposed to the places like A1 Cardone who just slap stock bearings and send them out. I've gotten cheap remans that were more loose than the old one I removed!

TurboDan

Reaction score
I just pulled the valves out of one head and one exhaust guide is crazy loose. I guess a machine shop is in my near future. The heads cannot be surfaced, correct? I also read to leave the freeze plugs in the head?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The heads can be resurfaced, but only by a competent shop who knows what they're doing. I believe (and may be incorrect) the precups have to be removed and milled down separately to match whatever is taken off the heads, then reinstalled. Plus the valve recession spec is critical so all of the valve seats will have to be reworked. This is my understanding of what is required based on information I've gleaned over the years.

If you decide to have them resurfaced, I'd be seeking out a heavy truck machine shop. The odds are much higher they will have a clue.

TurboDan

Reaction score
By the way I got a CRC Smart Washer parts cleaner and it’s pretty nice so far. I also used a heated ultrasonic cleaner with OzzyJuice in it and I’m happy with the results. My motor was covered in oily sludge and the parts cleaner got the heads and intake nicely clean without much effort. The OzzyJuice gets a bacteria treatment that apparently eats oil products to keep the juice clean.

I’ll look for look for a diesel machine shop, but if I can’t find one there is a machine shop that has good reviews near me, hopefully they could do the heads.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wherever you take it, you may want to research how to measure valve recession. When you get the heads back you can check them so you'll know if they're right or not instead of blindly trusting them.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Also think about this, anyone use these yet? Good results?