Motor swap

ClifFord

Reaction score
The PSD is mated to a standard 4+od trans. The duely rear is 3-11 rear diff.
I'm sure the excursion has 4-10 front and rear diff and has a auto trans, with electronic transfer case.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The PSD is mated to a standard 4+od trans. The duely rear is 3-11 rear diff.
I'm sure the excursion has 4-10 front and rear diff and has a auto trans, with electronic transfer case.

4.10 will tow the best with the IDI. 3.54 is better for fuel economy.

Superduty tcases from autos fit the older ZF5's. Plug and play.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still a little confused on just what is going where, what engine and trans are you hopping to end up with? And what does it have now?

ClifFord

Reaction score
Have gas v10 at lifted 4x4 excursion.
Have f350 7.3 psd manual trans duely.
Have 7.3t idi on mount in shop.
Want to put diesel engine in excerson and bench the triton v10. Trying to get info on what engine to put in excerson with less headache. Stroke or idi.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I always prefer a mechanical diesel. I like the factory IDI-T. All you'd really have to wire is power to the IP, and make the starter kick. (presuming manual trans here)

I would likely not try a PSD swap into an Excursion unless I had a 7.3 SuperDuty donor truck for all the knick-knacks and surprises... and freshened up the engine. I've spent a lot of hours troubleshooting and re-sealing the two 7.3PSDs I had as they got older. Also more difficult to access for repairs in the SD body than the OBS truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said, the idi will be miles easier and cheaper to swap in. However, your vehicle is still governed to the emissions standards of the vin, that means that if you have emissions testing in your area, you likely won’t pass with putting an older engine in a newer vehicle. If you don’t have emissions standards to worry about, then go idi!

ClifFord

Reaction score
Nope. Texas. No emission on diesel.
And I do have the doner truck. I'll just strip parts for my f350 body and sell the duely.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have gas v10 at lifted 4x4 excursion.
Have f350 7.3 psd manual trans duely.
Have 7.3t idi on mount in shop.
Want to put diesel engine in excerson and bench the triton v10. Trying to get info on what engine to put in excerson with less headache. Stroke or idi.

If you are putting the IDI ahead of the Excursion automatic transmission , thinking you need to do something different about the torque converter. I know in the past when pulled a diesel out, chevy, and put a gas in had to change the converter and pressure switch in transmission to make thinks work right. anyhow something you might check into.