Money Pit: Stage Two

Lost_Gasser

Reaction score
Wow guys, after a lot of advice, parts, dollar signs and elbow grease, money pit is up and running like a champ. Major engine problems included a valve that was burnt so bad that it had to be identified by dental records, and 4 injectors that were more like faucets. (Thanks for the tip on the injectors Mel - that was indeed what was causing the "Popping..) the heads got replaced and I screwed in 8 new injectors this morning - - - it's like driving some one else's truck now.

I suppose now it's time to diagnose the 4wd (or lack thereof) and probably rebuild the transfer case. The truck's got a BW 1345 in it, and I'm having a hard time finding any literature for it. (Lots of great 1356 stuf out there though!) I've never been inside one before, so I'm pretty desperate for information if anyone knows where I can locate it.

The dash lights show engagement of 4h and 4l, and the front drive shaft locks when the hubs are engaged, but there is no power to the front wheels. My pea-brain is telling me that this is internal to the case (Drive chain?) but that's as far as I've made it so far.

If anyone knows where I might pick up the basics on a 1345 rebuild, I'd much appreciate it. The salvage lot has a 1345 for $300.00, but I'd much rather try to go through the one that I've got first - I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing exactly what I'm working with...

As always - thanks.

-Josh

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to hear your truck is making smoke. Smoke and diesel sounds in the morning are what life is all about... At least it is for me and I don't mean that psd sound. Thats a yuppy sound if ever I herd one..... Flame suit on and waiting for incoming......:eek:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got problems inside that there unit.

They're actually quite simple inside. If you got 4H, and not 4L, then it is most likely that there is a problem with the shift forks internally. They get bent very easily, and although everything seems to work otherwise, the gear that engages the front driveshaft doesn't get moved far enough to the back, and thus the chain never ends up turning the front shaft.

If the chain were broke, you'd likely know about it, as it's quite heavy and takes up an enormous amount of space in there, and it'd be hard to imagine it breaking without doing some major internal damage or coming through the case, or making some way awful noises.

Either way, it's not hard to rebuild the thing. You might need a few split ring tools, but that's about it. It's not heavy, can be lifted out by hand, split the case, and you should see pretty quickly what it wrong.

I've got a few pics of the insides, and might even have a schematic of the parts laying around my shop somewhere that I could scan, and I'm sure I have the odd extra part from a previous rebuild...

I say, go for it...

Zigg :)

Lost_Gasser

Reaction score
Cool... I feel better about ripping into it now.. I'll probably start in a few weeks - I'm going to enjoy driving the truck for a little while first...:D