metal shavings in oil

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was time for an oil change after i drained it looked at it in the sunlight and seen metal shavings could they possibly be from the turbo the shelled out sometime in the last 2500 miles or something a lot worse -cuss

murphey just wont leave me the F$@# alone

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
not sure where would be from--but you best find out posthaste!!!!!!!!!!! taint good!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you had a turbo go bad within the interval? I wouldn't suspect anything else unless you have other symptoms. Plus you likely will have a few shavings at the drain plug(magnetic) Have you done and oil sample with CAT or Blackstone? That would tell you what it was, I'd think the turbo wheel and stuff would be aluminum and the housing probably iron or steel.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i havent got it tested closer inspection it dosent look like metal looks like calcuim deposits or something i will have it tested after i changed the injector and everything the knocking went away so

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I helped rebuild a turbo on an 01 Stroker like that. Steel shaving in the dipstick even after a oil change. It was a company truck that got driven ******* a daily basis & we found out that the guy changed his oil every 15,000 miles to save costs. Same thing with the air filter. :eek:

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope its the turbo i change the oil every 2500-2700 miles because i use it pretty hard pulling at least 12000lbs. a day several times (well before winter i did) and the turbo is complete shot now so will have to just let it sit till i get a new turbo

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pulled the oil pan off everything looked fine which is good news so the turbo is my thought in the metal shavings so does anyone know where i can get a new turbo for less than a $800 all i need is the turbo hopefully once the new one is there the metal shavings will just go away but i'll bet murphey will have something to say about that

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Go to your local CAT dealer, get an oil sample kit and have them test it. $10 and they will tell you what type of metal you are seeing in your oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin