Meet 'Tex'

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
nice rig you got and a very neat story! cant wait to see this brown truck evolve into a beast.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of this truck and as with everyone else am waiting to see the pictures and build progress. I might have a C6 for sale if you are interested.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
As promised, I've also have some pictures of the current fuel filtration setup... which I had the right idea, but I'm not a fan of it, and am open to suggestions.
You must be registered for see images attach

Okay, so today was the first milestone... it may not seem like a lot but it sure was for me... I removed nearly the entire fuel system on the engine, and replaced. Some new parts and a used IP off of a 1990 7.3 I scavenged parts from before it went to the scrapper.

When I pulled the injectors I found a couple leakers, and two cylinders had some carbon growing around the injector nozzles in the swirl chamber. (Might explain the odd idle it had the from what I could remember)
So I cleaned out the swirl chamber with a combination of cleaners to break the carbon up, and some tools to break it out. I then grabbed a cheap set of freshly rebuilt BB from a local shop they had sitting around. They were mostly Delphi's but two were CAV... They have to be better than what I had before. (Diesel Care Crap injectors)

I then pulled the glows out and tested each one to make sure they were good, and cleaned the bore they were in.

After which, reinstalled the glows, and installed the injectors, and then cleaned off the donor IP with some break cleaner, and installed.

Primed the fuel lines and IP, and grabbed an old battery and put it in the truck, and grab my other truck to aid in bleeding.
Once they lines started putting out fuel, tightened them up and gave it a go.

These pictures are from the work I've done today, and I have video of the attempts to start.. and of it actually firing off. (Will post links once they're uploaded)

I wondered where all my dogs food was going to...

IP out...

Passenger side injectors (in order)

Drivers side injectors (in order)... and don't mind the wrenches

New Injectors in

'New' IP installed (Getting closer)

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/Zd5cDnZ__18

Here is a quick compilation of the few attempts at getting her to fire over again.
A quick note: The fuel is 5 years old, and the truck didn't really have a battery.. it was started pretty much from the assistance of my '86 F-350.

It didn't show in the video, but I was so excited to see it run again after several years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7