Mazda /diesel /

ezbruce

Reaction score
Hello guy's
I have a Mazda truck 1988 ertra cab thats in fairly good condition. Here in California they HAVE TO BE SMOGED EVERY 2 YRARS.this is a big pain .
My thought's are 190 MBZ 4 cylinder.with the MBZ 5 speed.A MBZ 220 or 240 4 cylinder with the 4 speed. I know Mazda built diesel for a few years in the 80"s so I don't think the swap would be to complicated or expensive.
PLEASE critique and advise!

thanks
EZBRUCE

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might want to check with CAL ARB first before proceeding. diesel power is now a pariah in kali and I don't think they will allow that conversion to proceed. two years ago it would have been ok, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
It's still OK but you need to install an engine that is the same year of the vehicle or newer and it has to have been for automotive use. By that I mean it can't be an industrial type, Marine, etc.

imckee86

imckee86
Reaction score
I did a diesel swap in an 84 mazda and it proved pretty easy. I used the 2.2 perkins diesel mazda put in their trucks from the factory so its just like a factory diesel truck. Took a little fab work but it wasnt anything complicated. I wish i wouldve searched for somethin a little more unique to drop in but i had the perkins layin around. I love the little truck it gets great fuel mileage!;Sweet

dealwithit

Reaction score
hmmmmm, i dropped a 82 300SD OM617 turbo diesel 5cyl in my 92 b2600i (same truck as yours, just a bigger trans and rearend). i mated the engine up to the truck 5spd with a custom adapter plate and some machine work on the flywheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

i've got a bunch more videos of it under my name on youtube too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-bRDub6iE&feature=channel

imckee86

imckee86
Reaction score
Dealwithit that is one bad machine! Great vidoes of it! We have always conjured on the idea of droping and ol five cylinder in a small truck and now that ive see yours i want to! Was the adapter you got custom made or does someone carry it? I have a mitsubishi mighty max with a broke rod id love to make benz powered