manual transmission

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
i was wondering if other ford manual trannys bolt up to our 7.3 . if i can take a tranny from a dfifferent mtr and bolt it up ok i know i will need the right flywheel . i have a 4 speed aut id like to put a 5 spd man. and what about the transfercase

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a T-19B, ZF-5 or even a certain Clark 5 speed that IH uses. All have their own clutch/flywheel requirements.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
thanks for the info but will the bolt pattern from say a 4.9lt gas fit on the 7.3 ,also i forget are there bellhousings on 7.3 i dont remember seeing any manual trannys if so can the one from the 4.9 lt bolt up to it
thanks

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the only bellhousing that will bolt to the IDI would be from a 6.9 or 7.3 (IDI or PS). Keep in mind that many of the transmissions use an adaptor plate and do not bolt directly to the engine.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the benefit of using a clark 5 speed? Does anyone have a link to info on that transmission? Is it an overdrive tranny? Can it we fitted with minimal cutting?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I highly doubt anything but the t19 or the zf will fit. The trannies that IH used in their applications used front and rear engine mounts that require a rather large bellhousing. Lot of fab involved...
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No advantage to the Clark that I am aware of, other than being rated for more GVWR. I don't think it is an overdrive. Sort of like a T-19 on steroids.