Made a few videos of ye ole' truck

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when I get bored on my days off.....

After reading this thread last night (http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?56533-Current-Project-93-Factory-Turbo-pics) and hearing how beautiful the IDI sounded with all new parts, I decided to cry myself to sleep last night and then take a few videos of my truck today at lunch....just for kicks

I need to replace the IP, injectors I know for sure...I doubt the PO ever touched them and the truck has some miles on her.
She also needs the timing adjusted as Im sure the worn fuel system parts have royally degraded my timing.

Let me know if y'all see/hear any other issues that need to be addressed

Enjoy the idi/OBS eye candy
1994 7.3idi w/turbo 4x4 5-spd 3.55LS

Exhaust Smoke (black- white)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG81qATClkc

Revving the motor...does it sound like a have a slight miss when pressing the accelerator?
It sounds like I do (when standing next to truck) but I wanted to ask the experts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ySRrIEHY4

Two short startup/walk-around vids

I dont know whats up w/this first video but I imagine its similar to what people see when they are high on ****...especially at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_g9s3B0HE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGtDQFcuBg

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I dont hear anything that sounds like a miss, just the ****** excuse for a muffler ford uses.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice rig! I envy the lack of rust

Thank-you sir! Thankfully west texas is like living in a dehumidifier so no rust when it comes to old vehicles

I dont hear anything that sounds like a miss, just the ****** excuse for a muffler ford uses.

phew, that's good to know.
The truck is straight piped I think... I checked a while back but have forgotten since then. Ill check before work tomorrow.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe what you are thinking is a knock is just the injectors. Since installing a new to me injection pump my truck sounds very similar to that, sometimes it makes me nervous but she runs pretty good. That truck is way to quiet to be straight piped

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I drove to Canyon/Amarillo today (about 90mi) and smelled oil..... found a small leak when I arrived. Going to have to track that down after I get home sunday.

When I pooped the hood I also saw this :eek::eek::eek: pressurized/bloated radiator hose
Im hoping it is just a bad radiator cap or maybe the oil cooler...hopefully not head-gaskets
I do not see any bubbling when I pull the rad cap so I still a tiny iota of hope

Im going to check when i start it up and see if it bloats instantly...that will help determine if its HG related

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_20120505_131043.jpg
    IMG_20120505_131043.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20120505_131053.jpg
    IMG_20120505_131053.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh nooooooo!

Well good news (maybe) is that the pressure did not immediately spike when I started the truck...Im still worried about HGs though. It's in the back fo my mind. After a few mins at idle the hose was still soft.

Im going to have oreillies test my rad cap. Ill probably go ahead and replace the cap and replace the rad hoses. Im also going to do a cooling system flush probably tuesday. At least that way I can cross another cause of the list.

What else would y'all recommend? compression test on the motor?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I dont thonk i would do a flush with the possibility of the flush fluid getting in my oil or any other unwanted area, but especially not my oil.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont thonk i would do a flush with the possibility of the flush fluid getting in my oil or any other unwanted area, but especially not my oil.

Hmmm I didnt think of that. I was going off of the idea that it might flush out of radiator/oil cooler if they were clogged/plugged.
Ill follow the advice o justin and test my coolant for cylinder gasses then go from there.

test the coolant for cylinder gasses.

Good idea, I have been reading about doing that. From what I have to understand is I have to buy the tester and the fluid. Ill be of to napa as soon as I get home...maybe tomorow if I get the time.
Im off to the search function and read up some more.
Thanks for the help y'all

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
It is always good to know the compression of your engine. It will give you extra confidence in troubleshooting and a good baseline for future problems.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is always good to know the compression of your engine. It will give you extra confidence in troubleshooting and a good baseline for future problems.

I wont be able to have a shop test my cylinder compression right now as I am not comfortable in driving the truck in the current condition. On the way home, I stopped to check my oil level (because of the leak) and it was still full and I think Im getting coolant in oil and vice versa as my coolant level is still normal but shows little bits of something floating in it (Im thinking oil) but not sure yet.
the strange part is my oil wasnt the normal "choc shake" but was very thin when I checked it on the way home and when I arrived home.

Im going to check for exhaust gasses next week when the tester arrives then go from there....either headgaskets and/or oil cooler but hopefully not both at the same time. Once I get that done and the truck is driveable I can have a shop check compression and start w/the other things I need to fix....that's the plan at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin