Lost power, Smoked, Quit running, Not starting

WilyWoodsman

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 92 with only 140K. Replaced injection pump with stock rebuild because other one with bigger fuel pin started being erratic. Has 16cm turbo housing instead of 21cm stock. Ran great for 10k then while driving I heard different exhaust noise like a kick down from the turbo area and lost power. Pulled over and while idling it was smoking badly. Drove another 5 minutes at top speed of 45 and coolant guage which usually stays at midway until thermostat opens climbed to 3/4 and pyrometer went up to 12 and boost went up to 20 but could be confused on boost part. Pulled over going down hill when I saw driveway so put it in neutral and was trying with gas pedal to keep running but quit. Would not restart. Had towed, cooled off, but still will not start. I was near bottom of tank but I pushed up on bottom spring loaded thing under fuel filter and fuel came out. Tried to hand pump lift lever on lift pump but lever has no pressure anywhere after putting 4 gallons in with probably 4 still in there. There was oil puddles along the whole passenger side where valve cover seats and injectors thread in to block. Was not like that before incident. Radiator never boiled over and is still full and dip stick has no milkyness. Any help would be appreciated. My first diesel and I hope driving that last 5 minutes did not hurt engine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Still sounds like a headgasket.
Do a compression test. You can get a tester at harbor freight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dieselfollower

Reaction score
I agree about the HG. That does seem odd though, could the HG could have been weeping before and finally blew under a load?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.