Looking to buy 1992 7.3

James_G

Reaction score
Haha, well the only issue with living in the keys is that no one else down here has an obsession with big lifted guzzlers like myself.

It's all chrome,music systems, and over sized rims followed by spoilers and auto zone flame decals :puke:

So I try and research something the best I can before purchasin it, because once I make the drive, I'm coming home with something damn it.

Vfelix702

Reaction score
I hear ya on that!!!! That's how it is in Las Vegas,Nevada so that's what I have a Big hunk of $hit but it runs and I love it and nobody ever messes with it because it looks like it might not run... But it has never let me down in the 115f weather we have here =)

James_G

Reaction score
Hey flareside I had a 95' as my first truck.

Loved it but ended up selling it and buying a bike.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Jesus, maybe I should just say F the whole damn thing.
I mean, I thought the truck was kinda cool...:confused:
But I'll make sure to pick one of those up regardless, the more and more a read about diesel the less appealing a gasser sounds...at least any gas motor truck that would get any relatively decent mileage and be jacked up

Dont' pay any mind to Brad,

Things to consider before buying an older 7.3idi:
1. Parts are expensive compared to a gas engined model. They do tend to last fairly long tho
2. Make a list of all the things you'd want with the truck, like if you want it turbo'd factor that in (trust me, you want a turbo). As mentioned tires cost a lot too, so that is a selling point for sure.
3. Whenever I buy an old truck, there is going to be a bunch of stuff that is worn out... try your best to figure that all out when looking at the truck.
4. the abovementioned SCA levels.

Some of the people on this forum like to wave around the fact that they bought a POS for $1500. I wouldn't consider many of these vehicles roadworthy let alone a good deal. Unless you like working on a truck for the next lil while, you are often going to be WAY ahead of the game paying $5000 for a truck that is in excellent condition.
My point is, it doesn't take long at all to sink $4k into an old truck that isn't worth what you have in it. This forum is a fine example of that.... most of us have way more spent into the truck they own than they can ever get out of it.

Best of luck,
Drew

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Mine flareside's actually for sale...I've gotten 5 years out of it and dropped some money on it...no bites around here though cause everyone wants 4wd. She'll be gettin a 5 speed soon though.....so I'm gonna be making a fun truck funner, yea, I said it.

I spent 600 dollars on my truck and only have a few hundred more into it. New clutch was in when I got it, I fixed the ac leaks so it leaves you chilled to the bone and finally ditched the 2 post radio...best 600+ bucks I've ever spent. I look at it this way. You can learn about the truck you are intending to buy...their flaws, their issues, there pros, etc. That way, the amount of money you spend on a vehicle can be dictated by YOU...with some helpful input also. Just because you spend 4 or 5k on a truck doesn't mean it's going to be in excellent shape. Selling vehicles is a bullshitter's market and the majority of people will flat out lie to a person just to make a sale. Very few will actually be honest in entirety. I'm in the minority.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Jesus, maybe I should just say F the whole damn thing.

I mean, I thought the truck was kinda cool...:confused:

And that is why you are hooked. You can't get attached to a vehicle that you are going to look at as a perspective purchase. You have to look at it as a piece of metal, afterall, that all it is. If you are attached, you could find 100 things wrong with it and STIIL PAY TOO MUCH. Trust me. I have bought and sold more vehicles in the past 15 years than most people own in a lifetime. With ALL of my trucks, I have never even paid book value, no less more than book value.

Be patient unless you need a truck yesterday. Then just buy some beater to hold you over till you find what you want/need. Lift, wheels and BALD tires add NO VALUE to the price of a truck. It actually limits the market on the people that want it. And the less people that look at it, the less chance of selling it

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep your eyes open. Good deals do pop up now and again. I've picked up several great trucksfor a song.

Just have to be patient and wait for what you want.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Just keep your eyes open. Good deals do pop up now and again. I've picked up several great trucksfor a song.

Just have to be patient and wait for what you want.

This means he's gonna keep his eyes peeled for you. That's just the kind of guy Billy is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online