Looking for some 6.9 parts

abeemanator

Reaction score
So I'm new here on Oilburners, but am no stranger to forums, after a few years of owning something like a Dodge Ram 50/ Mitsu Mighty Max you learn that the internet is a great place haha!
Anyway I have a 6.9 IDI Bronco I built and the poor thing is starting to haze blue all the time, and using quite a bit of oil, bypassed the cdr and ran a road draft tube and about smoked myself out of the cab, its not a bad runner at all I just think the abuse the farm I got it from has finally caught up to it, I'm mainly looking for a 6.9 Ring kit and a master gasket kit, I know I can go online and buy some from Ebay but I decided to check here first on the forum to see if anyone has got any that they are looking to get rid of, im not going to fully rebuild the motor I just want to re ring her and put her back together if I can. My plan is to pull it out, clean it as best as i can and pull the heads and check main/rod bearing clearances, check the bore and taper to make sure its really something I want to get into before I decide to buy another engine but would like the parts on hand when I put it back together. I don't think im going to go as far as getting the heads redone or anything just kind of a refresher. Thanks for any help!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the parts you're looking for, but a few tips.

I'd do a used oil analysis before you pull it down. Lots of good information can be had there. It can direct you to potential problems to correct/check during your refresh of that 6.9.

Look at the heads closely for issues. Pull the rockers, springs, and valves. Check the rockers for wear (a potential issue on the 6.9), valve guides and valve stems for wear and make sure they are in spec, and valves and seats (especially exhaust) for pitting.

Finally, I'd recommend head studs over new head bolts. ARP 6.9 kits are reasonable and you can find deals if you look a bit online. Head gasket failures are lessened with head studs.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As already posted you really need to find out what the valve guides condition is. Many times the seals wear and then the guides fail. Also the rocker arms are the older type with the aluminum pivot part and that does wear out. Then you have some rocker issues. Installing the 7.3 rockers is a best bet idea and they are the only types available today because they are the best for our idi engines. An oil test will tell you what might be wearing out too but do a couple of them so you have a base line to know what might be wearing faster. Blackstone is who many of us use. Just contact them and they send you free sample containers and shipping labels for same. All you pay for is shipping and the test you want run.
Now before all this I suggest you trying a oil treatment called Auto RX. Several members have used it and it has cleaned up their engines internals and stopped smoke issues and increased compression too. It wont repair any damage but it has cleaned stuck rings that caused oil burning very well. Just follow the easy to understand directions ad see what that can do for your tired engine. Also studs for head bolts is about the best idea yet. The 6.9 had an issue with the 7/16 head bolts not being strong enough to hold the heads down.

Dogbrain

Reaction score
I have a 6.9 that ran great and I had put bearings in like 20-40k miles before it stripped the timing gears. Would make an awesome short block. Is in northern va, let me know if that is interesting to you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a 6.9 that ran great and I had put bearings in like 20-40k miles before it stripped the timing gears. Would make an awesome short block. Is in northern va, let me know if that is interesting to you.

I'm really interested in learning how the "timing gears got stripped"... There is nothing keeping these gears from turning... Unless something got stuck in between the gear teeth. Even then most times a tooth gets ruined or the "item" is crushed.

Dogbrain

Reaction score
The bolt holding the gear to the camshaft backed out, allowing the gear to move and get out of correct mesh with the crank gear, then it stripped some of the teeth off.